Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it okay if the center spot isn’t a doughnut?

I am new to telescopes and read that collimating is very important. My telescope didn’t  have a centerspot and is it okay if the centerspot I put isn’t a doughnut but a big green dot instead.

image.jpg

Dan so long as it allows you to identify he centre of the mirror I'm guessing it will not matter. Most folk use one of the sticky hole reinforcements you use on punched paper to put into a ring binder.

Jim 

Ideally, the centre spot would have a hole in the middle which will make aligning the centre mark with the shadow of your collimation cap easier. However, as you have already put the dot on your mirror I would be inclined to leave it in place as removing it is the operation where you are most likely to scratch the mirror (even if it his behind the secondary shadow). 

It’s  okay now, I have replaced it with a doughnut and I also get to clean my mirror. I thought that a dot will be enough but I just ordered a laser collimator so I had to change it. YouTube really helps :D

Edited by Dan20