Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Geoff

Jupiter, 16 June

Posted (edited)

An image of Jupiter taken early morning, 16 June.  Not as good as some other people's efforts, but the planet was low (around 15 deg) and the seeing was not great. CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC, captured in Sharpcap, processed in Registax6.

Best 15% of 7000 frames IIRC.  One of the images here is a random raw frame, to show what I had to work with. Ganymede should be visible on left in the processed image. GRS coming into view on left.

Jupiter00_13_17.jpg

RawJup00-13-17.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      Hello All,
      Sharing with you my best images of Jupiter and Saturn for this year.
      I haven't had the luck of a High Pressure system with no wind speed yet, but on the 17th it was as close as I had for planetary this Jupiter/Saturn season.
      Not my best images of the gas giants ever but ok IMO.
      I'm happy to see that the GRS seems to be repairing itself, last time I imaged Jupiter, the border around the GRS looked like it was breaking up so perhaps it'll be around long enough for my kids to see in the eyepiece.
      Captured at f33. Images consist of  the best 15% frames from 13x60sec @ 60fps for Jupiter and 13x120s @ 30fps for Saturn, derotated in WinJupos.
      Clear Skies,
      MG

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here is a EEVA-style image of Neptune and apparently its largest moon, Triton. I had been trying to image planetary nebulae before aiming the gear at Neptune, and noticed a faint smudge below the severely over-exposed planet. It was possibly easier to see at the time than on the processed image attached (between planet and arrow).  It seems to match the position given by Sky & telescope's Triton Tracker.
      At around mag 13.5, Triton would normally be beyond the reach of a C8 used visually even in ideal conditions.
      Image is inverted, taken 12Aug at 22.40 UT.  CPC800,ASI224MC, flip mirror. Gibbous moon.

• By PH-R
      Hey all, I just started imaging the planets again after a long break. I have just purchased some new equipment a ZWO ASI224MC and skywatcher ADC (replacement for SPC900). I have read a lot about image quality depending on the height of the planets. The image shows top row images I took in Dec 2012 SPC900 ( looks like the world did not end 🙂 ) and bottom row July 2019 224MC. Would the difference I am seeing in quality be down to just position or am I not setting the new camera correctly? Thanks for any more image examples or help.

• By PH-R
      Hey all, I cannot believe my luck. I was out on the 31st July practicing imaging Jupiter and Saturn with the my new ADC and ZWO Asi224MC. All of a sudden the ISS started to appear from the South West heading East. I quickly released the clutches on the mount and followed the ISS the best I could with the finder scope. Everything was set in sharp cap for the Jupiter capture, ROI was set to 320 x 240, 2x barlow plus ADC.  I could not believe it out of 6500 frames I manged to find 13 frames, which I stacked. Second bit of luck, PIPP said it could not find an object, so I turned the option off and it ran without errors. The hero was AutoStakkert which sorted the frames to the front of the ser file. 
      Composite of 3 images from my night:

• By Astronut_Al
      Hi everyone, 
      Can anyone confirm (or refute) - have I imaged Ganymede and Europa in orbit around Jupiter or is that just wishful thinking? (Only equipment used was a Lumix G7 with 150mm zoom lens - effectively 300mm with 2x crop factor - and of course a tripod).
      It appears to be the case and yet I can't quite allow myself to believe it...
      Thanks from an old newbie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.