Narrowband

how to connect sky watcher EQ6R PRO to phd2

hello everyone! just got my first guide camera (asi 290mm mini) and immediately went to my pc and started to connect everything! the camera was a piece of cake (downloads the drivers and it connected very smoothly... although that in the main window of PHD2 it doesn't appear as the 290mm mini just as asi zwo camera, its good?)

and the mount... well i downloaded from the sky watcher website the heq6r pro drivers for ascom, downloaded it, put the paramaters in the eqmod window (focal length, aperture, my latitude and longitude, elevation, and the com port and etc...) everything work very good until i came to PHD. the registration of the camera work smoothly but when i tried to choose the mount (in the options i had the option of sky watcher - the drivers that i downloaded), phd gave me the message "mount does not support the required pulse guide interface". what does it mean? i cant control the mount with phd via ascom/eqascom? just with the st4 cable? or maybe i need to update my synscan firmware? for now i connected to phd via the st4 cable, but what about ascom and eqmod? the eq6r pro just cant connected to phd with these software? (pulse guide?)

thank you for your help!!!!!

15 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

hello everyone! just got my first guide camera (asi 290mm mini) and immediately went to my pc and started to connect everything! the camera was a piece of cake (downloads the drivers and it connected very smoothly... although that in the main window of PHD2 it doesn't appear as the 290mm mini just as asi zwo camera, its good?)

and the mount... well i downloaded from the sky watcher website the heq6r pro drivers for ascom, downloaded it, put the paramaters in the eqmod window (focal length, aperture, my latitude and longitude, elevation, and the com port and etc...) everything work very good until i came to PHD. the registration of the camera work smoothly but when i tried to choose the mount (in the options i had the option of sky watcher - the drivers that i downloaded), phd gave me the message "mount does not support the required pulse guide interface". what does it mean? i cant control the mount with phd via ascom/eqascom? just with the st4 cable? or maybe i need to update my synscan firmware? for now i connected to phd via the st4 cable, but what about ascom and eqmod? the eq6r pro just cant connected to phd with these software? (pulse guide?)

thank you for your help!!!!!

What guiding method are you selecting in EQMOD ?

Geof - i connect with rs232 with adaptor to usb, work very good with stellarium, but with phd it dont work!

Cornelius - i dont remember the options, can you remind me? in the windows when i put the paramaters? (focal length, aperture, my latitude and longitude, elevation, and the com port and etc...), i choose the equatorial...

• Like 1

Perhaps consider one of these..

https://pegasusastro.com/products/eqdir/

One cable from the box to the mount the rest is Bluetooth.  Been using this method for the past year, has never let me down.  I e used it with my laptop about 15m away.

Once setup, with ASCOM and Eqmod loaded, was just a case of using the HEQ5/EQ6 driver and everything connected.. PHD2, CdC, SGP etc.

AC3A4AD2-CDE5-4143-A519-D64E1895DDA6.jpeg

F5902BB8-1CD0-4623-85F1-16932BD5F12C.jpeg

Edited by Aidan

wow thank you! maybe i will buy it!

but i see you are using the same mount like i have, so way phd give me the message"mount does not support the required pulse guide interface"? you think i need to update my HC firmware?

and how with this pegasus it is working? with the pegasus i can use the EQMOD and without it i have to use the ST4 cable? and i see that it connected to the hand control? how do you control the mount (align and all the other stuff you do in the HC?) via the pc? wich software you are using?

thanks!!!!

20 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

Geof - i connect with rs232 with adaptor to usb, work very good with stellarium, but with phd it dont work!

Cornelius - i dont remember the options, can you remind me? in the windows when i put the paramaters? (focal length, aperture, my latitude and longitude, elevation, and the com port and etc...), i choose the equatorial...

Screen grab of EQMOD setup

373435289_eqmodsetup.JPG.251da595e00f8b1d98cf6975eb86bb1a.JPG

The guiding options are in the middle column. The options are either ASCOM pulseguiding or ST4, select the pulseguiding option in EQMOD setup and select the correct mount type EQMOD HEQ5/EQ6 in PHD2.

ohh! so i will try to use it... but i still need to download the sky watcher ascom?

and also the people in cloudy night offer me that cable... because i dont have it...  https://www.amazon.com/Skywatcher-Telescope-Control-Serial-Converter/dp/B07HL2Z741/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=skywatcher+usb+cable&qid=1561911555&s=gateway&sr=8-3

thanks!!!!!!!!

Edited by hubble space telescope

5 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

i downloaded this one - http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/downloadindex.html

and from my understanding in order to connect them i need also the sky watcher ascom...

The Skywatcher ascom driver downloaded from the Skywatcher website is not needed for your purposes.  In PHD2 select EQMOD HEQ5/EQ6 as your mount type.

13 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

ok, so i will delete the skywatcher ascom... 

"In PHD2 select EQMOD HEQ5/EQ6 as your mount type" - but only when i will buy the cable, right?

until then i can use the st4 cable for guiding and rs232 for stellarium?

You can still use EQMOD without the EQDIR module. Connect the handset to the laptop using the serial data cable supplied with the mount.