Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 inch Dobsonian too heavy - alternative recommendations

31 minutes ago, MSammon said:

I think my Orion Optics VX12L is actually lighter than my Synta made Orion XT10 Classic. Certainly easier to carry. 

Those large altitude bearings attached to the tube rings make good carrying handles for the optical tube section.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You could keep the 10" Dobsonian and buy some tube transportation straps, which redistribute the weight better when you carry the tube separately. It is often not the weight, but the awkwardness of the tube shape and length that is the problem. Tube transportation straps can help with this.

I really do not envy you having to carry that beast up and down stairs into an apartment. I used to have the same scope. Had to keep it upstairs in the spare room. Out of sight, out of mind. I hit it on every door frame on the way out and on the way back. And found the base no easier to manage. As much as I loved the 250 it had to go. Replaced it with a C8S (the CG5 mounted one). The tube was lightweight and very easy to manage. The CG5 was much easier to manhandle too.  Plus it was all driven in both axis.

The only two drawbacks of the C8 (or any SCT) was cool down time (gigantic problem from a heated room to cold outdoors) and they are the ultimate dew magnate (more than any other scope type). From a warm room it needed minimum 1 hour outside cooling. On a really cold night, more than that. And the dew would end the viewing in less than 5 minutes without some kind of active dew prevention (heated dew strap. So basically waited an hour or more to view only for it to be out of action 5 mins later. And a dew shield was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

But the C8 is a great way of getting aperture in a lighter and easier to handle package. That's my take on it. 

Edited by russ
  • Like 2

On 30/06/2019 at 22:15, Greymouser said:

I have just been diagnosed with a frozen shoulder, which has made me reassess my setup, regarding portability.

Hi, I have had frozen shoulder before and it is curable :) So dont make hasty decisions - its still a few months to the dark months in UK, so you should be able to recover by then. Suggest you visit a physio and then religiously follow the exercise regime that they prescribe!

• Like 3

On 02/07/2019 at 19:14, doubledoubleswifty said:

I would just prefer something that I can carry myself in one and just go outside?  Does that ideal telescope exist?

In that case, maybe a 'grab n go' type set up would be more suitable to your needs. There are plenty of options and a new thread would open up a world of possibilities :happy1:. Off the top of my head, for a one trip carry out a 4" f8 frac, 6" f5 Newt, 6" f10 SCT/Mak would probably be the maximums I'd want on something like an AZ4. SW 130 Heritage only weighs 7kg.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 17:03, M55_uk said:

So dont make hasty decisions

I have no intention of doing so, yet. Though now I have put my back out too and am having to go to see an ophthalmologist, about my eyes and a potential bad problem, which is a worry, but I am doing my best to remain optimistic. :smiley: I have already seen a physio once, but have been waiting since the end of June for a follow up appointment, which is enough said on that matter or I will fall foul of the forum rules concerning politics... :rolleyes2:

All that said, I have just bought and received today, some more Astro gear so, you know, adapt and move on eh? :grin:

• Like 1

I've got the 250 flexitube with Goto and find it a bit of a pain to move around, heavy and awkward. So much so I've used it perhaps half a dozen times since I bought it new.

I've just bought the SkyMax 127 mak AZ GTi WiFi as grab-and-go scope while I think about what I'm going to do with my Dobsonian..

telescope.jpg

I think the reality is that telescopes with decent aperture (ie: over 8 inches) are quite heavy and awkward to move around. Workarounds can be found but if you have to use a number of stairs or a long walk over rough / uneven terrain they will always pose a challenge. This is magnified if you have an injury of course.

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I'm thinking about getting the 30 pound Hubble Optics UP12 12" Dob to replace my 110+ pound 15" Dob.  After multiple back and shoulder injuries, the 15" is just too much to lift even in pieces.

Impressive specs for the Hubble Dob Louis, look forward to your first light impressions.

I'd suggest to try heal the shoulder. You will be going down in aperture, which, depending where you live, will have a noticeable effect on the views. If it's really bothering you though, better to reduce size/ap than give up a hobby i assume you really enjoy.

Edited by wesdon1
spelling mistakes

On 20/08/2019 at 01:21, Frank the Troll said:

In a similiar position, my back is totally naff, the 10" is just too much to cope with now, will be looking to sell it at some point, and go fo an 8" so I can mount it on the EQ6

Will it be permanently mounted on a pier?  The EQ6 with counterweights is over 70 pounds without the OTA.

• Like 1

Is the issue in carrying the Dob as a complete unit? The OTA is simple to remove from the base, and in my experience as a 250px owner myself is that the base is the heaviest and clunkiest piece, the OTA itself is quite easily manageable. If that is the case, then a new base might solve the problem, be it something you can do yourself if you are skilled in that regard, or someone like OrionOptics who sell their Dob bases separately which will fit the 250px tube. @John - didn't you do exactly this in a post I saw a while ago?

• Like 1