Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

garryblueboy

COMPLETED - Lunt Solar Systems 7-21mm Zoom eyepiece (NOW SOLD PLEASE REMOVE)

Posted (edited)

Lunt 7-21mm Solar Zoom eyepiece boxed with caps in very good condition this is a great eyepiece for solar viewing 

looking for £125 +£5P&P

B918AC57-2346-4301-88B7-30D5D8530C61.jpeg

Edited by garryblueboy

A question you may be in a position to answer.
No doubt others will have thought about this but not asked.....

How does this zoom compare to other similar price tag zoom eyepieces for an Ha scope?
For example my Baader zoom shows some internal reflections with my LS60. But at night it is great.
A problem with many fixed eyepeices, not a criticism of the Baader zoom.

How does this Lunt zoom compare to other zoom eps for night use?
Is there anything about lens coating that degrades night performance?

Thanks, David.

Posted (edited)

It is excellent for nighttime use particulary on planetary.

The Pentax XF zoom is one of very best solar Ha eyeoieces I’ve ever used. Better than the Lunt but more expensive and rubbish for nighttime use.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the Lunt is a great all rounder I have also tried the Pentax John refers to and I’d say not much in it on solar but Pentax was awful on night time 

Posted (edited)

Novice alert - with an EP such as this, do you need any other filter on a telescope to protect from the sun?  i.e. Could I use it on the Skywatcher 200P Dob that I have without needing the additional protection of my home-made filter?  NB.  Wondering if it would be a safer alternative for my proposed solar roadshow in a few weeks.

NNB.  Is there any reason why the Dob would melt if I didn't have the big filter across the whole tube at the front?

Edited by JOC

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JOC said:

Novice alert - with an EP such as this, do you need any other filter on a telescope to protect from the sun?  i.e. Could I use it on the Skywatcher 200P Dob that I have without needing the additional protection of my home-made filter?  NB.  Wondering if it would be a safer alternative for my proposed solar roadshow in a few weeks.

NNB.  Is there any reason why the Dob would melt if I didn't have the big filter across the whole tube at the front?

No. It cannot make a conventional telescope a "solar scope" on its own.

Lunt Solar is the Manufacturer. It is a zoom Lunt brought out that they say is optimised for the focal lengths of their solar scopes. Although it doesn't have to be solely deployed on Lunt equipment. However, this is like a conventional eyepiece and would need to be used with a Solar Filter, be that white light or hydrogen alpha or the like...

Edited by Stargazer McCabe

2 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

No. It cannot make a conventional telescope a "solar scope" on its own.

Lunt Solar is the Manufacturer. It is a zoom Lunt brought out that they say is optimised for the focal lengths of their solar scopes. Although it doesn't have to be solely deployed on Lunt equipment. However, this is like a conventional eyepiece and would need to be used with a Solar Filter, be that white light or hydrogen alpha or the like...

Excellent explanation thank you and I'm glad I asked.  They do say the only daft question is the one that hasn't been asked don't they?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JOC said:

It would be completely unsafe, instant blindness. It is a normal eyepiece with coatings supposedly optimised to transmit Ha and intended to be used with a solar scope. 

Also, without the full aperture filter on your dob, the concentrated light hitting the secondary mirror could damage it, or perhaps just melt the glue holding it to the stalk so that it falls and smashes both mirrors. 

Mind you I'm glad I posted the question, it might stop someone else thinking that they could just buy it and view the sun.  From the description it's a conceivable mistake to make - I suspected it required other filters and asked as much to point this out to other novices as for my own information.

• Like 2

I've amended the title to make things a little clearer. Good question JOC!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johninderby said:

It is excellent for nighttime use particulary on planetary.

Indeed - the 7.2 - 21.5 zoom that I use with the Baader 2.5x barlow for planetary is the same as the Lunt I believe. Different branding though.