Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it worth upgrading to ZWO ASI 224 mc for planetary?

Hi,

I am considering to buy an ZWO ASI 224mc for planetary imaging. Currently I use an ZWO ASI 120mm-s with Baader RGB filters, Powermate 5X / barlow 2.5X in a Skywatcher 200pds on a Skywatcher NEQ6Pro. I am happy with my results but I am considering the 'upgrade' to the 224 for the following reasons:

- clearer lunar zoom photos with the powermate and barlow,  using an IR-pass filter to fight the seeing

- I would like to try videoastronomy and was told that this is a good camera for this purpose.

- I can still do good RGB imaging (with in IR-cut filter) in one shot to also simplify my image processing workflow.

My telescope this summer will be located in the Mediterranean and my budget is about 400 pounds (camera and essential filters),.

Do my arguments make sense? Does the choice of camera model make sense? or should I stick to my existing setup?

Many thanks to all.

astroexplorer