Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7000 Bi-Colour - Re-Process

Xiga

I thought i'd revisit this one, as i was never truly sure abut the processing originally. 

So with this one, i sought to improve the stars (they're a big improvement) but also bring out more of the dark nebulosity. Did i go too far though?! Looking at it again today i think i may have. 🤔

Details:

Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)

OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)

RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s

The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS. 

Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (522mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2. 

The original version can be seen on the Astrobin link.

C&C welcome and clear skies folks!

ps - At the moment this is still at 100%, but i'll probably end up down-sampling it to about 50%. I don't think it can hold up to 100% tbh. 

Edit - Here's the new, now much more toned-down, version. It's a clear improvement, so i'll have to keep reminding myself not to try and go for big & bright, when subdued nearly always ends up looking better!

1548187928_NGC7000Bi-Colourv4.thumb.jpg.da604cbc41093e1ab6ef568c4f733557.jpg

Original, nasty over-bright version:

https://astrob.in/346428/C/

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Looks great to me!

Thanks David. 

I wanted to see how far I could push the  brightness range, so I pushed it quite hard. 

12 hours ago, rickwayne said:

Nice! I've tried that region in Ha but now you've got me wanting to point an OIII at it too.

Thanks Rick.

There's tonnes of Oiii in the NAN so go for it 😎

22 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Edited by Xiga

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 06:33, alan potts said:

Very nice version of this large target, it may be a bit too big for me to have a go at it, I was looking at it last night while sitting at the scope, couldn't see mind, but knew it was there.

Alan.

Thanks Alan.

I've done so little actual observing since I took up AP a couple of years ago - I really need to get back into it!

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 19:08, david_taurus83 said:

I actually managed some subs this weekend on this also. 9 x 900s ha on my WO GT71. Almost identical FOV and framing as you have! It surprised my how big it is. 

It is indeed big Alan. Although i actually now wish i'd framed it in Landscape, then i might have got the Pelican in the frame too. 

Came back and took another look at this and, yep, saw immediately that it was waaay too bright. I know i was intentionally trying to go for bright and bold, but even then it was still way too much.

New and vastly improved version now in the OP. 

Thankfully i had the image saved with the Lum, Colour, and Stars all in their own layers in PS, so it was easy to fix without messing with other elements.