Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece projection

Chefgage

Hello all. Can anyone recomend an eyepiece or two that would be suitable for eyepiece projection. I currently just do the usual prime focus with my dslr, but fancy including eyeprojection into my photography sessions.  My current selection of eyepieces do not have the removable eye cups to reveal a threaded part.

Thanks.

Things like Skywatcher Barlows also unscrew into pieces that allow camera's to be fitted using a T adapter ring.  In fact I've been constantly amazed at how many times seeming solid object unscrew to provide useful bits for this sort of thing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JOC said:

Things like Skywatcher Barlows also unscrew into pieces that allow camera's to be fitted using a T adapter ring.  In fact I've been constantly amazed at how many times seeming solid object unscrew to provide useful bits for this sort of thing

I was sat on the floor last night with my eyepieces, barlows, t adapter with built in barlow and other t adapters. I had them all in bits trying to come up with a combination that would suit my needs 😀

I will have a look at the two eyepieces you suggested.  Thank for that.

If you go down the Baader route you need a Baader M43 extension ring which screws to the EP, this then fits into another thin ring that I unscrew from my EP holder and that combo then screws onto the T ring ring fitting that takes my canon.  At least that's what works for me - although I expect you can get a T ring that goes directly into a Baader M43 ring.

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JOC said:

If you go down the Baader route you need a Baader M43 extension ring which screws to the EP, this then fits into another thin ring that I unscrew from my EP holder and that combo then screws onto the T ring ring fitting that takes my canon.  At least that's what works for me - although I expect you can get a T ring that goes directly into a Baader M43 ring.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. Got a few pennies set aside for some new astro gear 😀

The problem I've found with eyepiece projection is that few eyepieces, even premium ones, project a flat rather that curved field.  This means that it is difficult to get both the center and edge sharp at the same time.

If you are using afocal eyepiece projection (eyepiece into a camera lens), this works much better because the camera lens's natural depth of focus compensates for the eyepiece's curved image field.  I tend to like my 22mm Astro-Tech AF70 for this method because it is fairly low power, has long enough eye relief to couple with the lens's entry pupil successfully, is well corrected across 95% of the field, and has an easily accessible M43 thread on top to mate with a camera lens (or lens tube) thread.

On 28/06/2019 at 09:01, JOC said:

Baader Mopheus and Baader Hyperion EP's provide this sort of thread.  HTH

Just been looking at the Baader Hyperions as they are in my price range. Any recomendations on what size to get?

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

Well it would probably be wrong to recommend one over any other as I've only got one and picked up that 2nd hand on a good deal on SGL.  However FWIW I've got one of these:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/31mm-hyperion-aspheric-2"-eyepiece.html

Thanks for that. I am now just trying to figure out what size to get, so many to choose from 😀

Well I guess it depends on what you want to take photos of I've got an F6 8" Dobsonian.  With this if I wanted the whole moon in one shot I'd be looking at something like a 10mm size.  If you want to take wider star fields and maybe whole constellations you might want something as wide as my 31mm, if I was looking for something like a decently sharp planet maybe something around the 6-8mm mark as I find I don't get the conditions for something around the 5mm mark very often in the UK.

58 minutes ago, JOC said:

Well I guess it depends on what you want to take photos of I've got an F6 8" Dobsonian.  With this if I wanted the whole moon in one shot I'd be looking at something like a 10mm size.  If you want to take wider star fields and maybe whole constellations you might want something as wide as my 31mm, if I was looking for something like a decently sharp planet maybe something around the 6-8mm mark as I find I don't get the conditions for something around the 5mm mark very often in the UK.

Been trying to get decent pictures of jupiter lately. So the eyepiece will be mostly used for that and saturn. I too have a F6 8" dobsonian.  I have a few bst starguider eyepieces. I use the 8mm one if i am looking at jupiter. I was just wondering if going to that magnification with the attached dslr would be ok.

My DSLR sees more or less what I see - I know lots of people who are really into astro photography have specially adapted DSLR's and I see lots of comments that refer to the sensor size and the size of the projected image (which has something to do with the pupil exit size IIUT correctly), but I have had success just using the camera in the place of the Eyepiece and also by attaching it to an EP, but FWIW I get better images without the EP in place and just directly attaching the camera to the tube.

54 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Been trying to get decent pictures of jupiter lately. So the eyepiece will be mostly used for that and saturn. I too have a F6 8" dobsonian.  I have a few bst starguider eyepieces. I use the 8mm one if i am looking at jupiter. I was just wondering if going to that magnification with the attached dslr would be ok.

There are variable camera projection eyepieces available that have height adjustment. You put the 1.25” eyepiece in them and attach the camera via the T threads on top of it.

Like this one from Teleskop Express - https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p215_Eyepiece-Projection---Prime-Focus-Adaptor---1-25--to-T2.html

You need the T thread adapter for your camera and they recommend using Super Plossl eyepieces that drop in the adapter from 9mm to 15mm depending on how much magnification you need.

10 hours ago, Vondragonnoggin said:

There are variable camera projection eyepieces available that have height adjustment. You put the 1.25” eyepiece in them and attach the camera via the T threads on top of it.

Like this one from Teleskop Express - https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p215_Eyepiece-Projection---Prime-Focus-Adaptor---1-25--to-T2.html

You need the T thread adapter for your camera and they recommend using Super Plossl eyepieces that drop in the adapter from 9mm to 15mm depending on how much magnification you need.

Thanks