Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finders on Vixen dovetail

Are you aware of adapters for attaching a standard finder to a Vixen dovetail?

I must admit that I haven't done a proper research on this, but maybe someone has already done it? :)

thank you

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Piero.

Do you mean something like this? 

Thanks Philip. What I mean is to attach a finderscope bracket to a standard Vixen dovetail, the ones used for attaching refractors to mounts. Of course one could make an adapter ad hoc, but I wondered whether these can be bought.

Edited by Piero

Here it is. Great little thing. Easy to clamp tightly to any Vixen size dovetail, so potentially a great solution for any scope or focuser which doesn't support a finder base, or an alternative to expensive finders sold by brands like Takahashi. But it's not perfect. To attach a typical cheap finder shoe (95% of which have a curved or raised base), the included screws are too short. TS in Germany sells a flat based finder shoe, so that may be the only option if I can't track down the right screw length to use one of the Baader/Synta shoes I already have. Never simple, this fixing telescope bits to other bits, is it?

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2019 at 17:07, Piero said:

Are you aware of adapters for attaching a standard finder to a Vixen dovetail?

I must admit that I haven't done a proper research on this, but maybe someone has already done it? :)

thank you

Look up "ADM adapters", "Losmandy" and "Mogg Adapters"...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Piero said:

Super! Thank you very much for your help!

I remember when I was putting my imaging system together... those companies, along with OPT Corp were great help.... I was able to get my system together with very minimal unnecessary extra expense on bits and pieces I didn't need.

• Like 1

I've recently ordered an Antares Versascope 10x60 RACI finder for my new dobson and my plan is to also use this finder for the Tak-100 when this is used at high powers. I don't want to install a finder on the Tak, but rather prefer adding this on the other arm of my AOK Ayo 2 mount. Unfortunately, the two arms have a shift of about 1 degree, making difficult the use of TV-60 I have, as a finder for the Tak, particularly when this is used at 250x or more.

I also found this finder show https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10787_TS-Optics-Finder-Base-with-2x-1-4--photo-thread-and-sinkhole-for-M6-and-1-4-.html , which could ideally be attached to a dovetail directly using 1/4" bolts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piero said:

I don't want to install a finder on the Tak, but rather prefer adding this on the other arm of my AOK Ayo 2 mount. Unfortunately, the two arms have a shift of about 1 degree, making difficult the use of TV-60 I have, as a finder for the Tak, particularly when this is used at 250x or more. 

Not cheap, but absolutely brilliant for aligning a second refractor:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guider-mounting/adm-mini-max-guider-guidescope-saddle.html

DSC_1236.thumb.JPG.7971079f33127e990d225813a32c9263.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Not cheap, but absolutely brilliant for aligning a second refractor:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guider-mounting/adm-mini-max-guider-guidescope-saddle.html

Nice setup, Mike! 

Depending on how well the Antares VS60 handles high magnification, it could be that my TV-60 will leave together with a few other things. Therefore, a simple finder shoe should be sufficient for this. 

58 minutes ago, Piero said:

I also found this finder show https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10787_TS-Optics-Finder-Base-with-2x-1-4--photo-thread-and-sinkhole-for-M6-and-1-4-.html , which could ideally be attached to a dovetail directly using 1/4" bolts. 

Yay😎😎!!! That's what I've been looking for - Thank you!!

Helen

• Like 1