Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone - it's been a while! 

This has been on my hard drive for almost 2 months and I finally got round to processing it...it was quite optimistic of me to try and image this from my Bortle 7-8 back garden, but I gave it a go! While the nebula itself is clear to see, all those gorgeous dust clouds surrounding it were extremely hard for me to capture from my location without a lot more integration time. I think I'll head to dark skies to capture this one next time, along with some more focal length!

LRGB shot with ASI1600MM Pro and WO Z73. 2.9 hours of integration time.

Full details here.

Thanks for looking!

470359695_NGC70232019-05-04(Resampled)-800x601.png.4c57bc9020e36ed8fe814e713694da85.png

Edited by eshy76
  • Like 14

Lovely backyard capture - hard to do a lot better than that without a dark site or much longer integration. Nice work! :)

• Like 1

Pretty Amazing, I live not that far from you in Bromley, so I know what your skies must be like.  Would never have thought to have attempted this one from home, so well done.

Carole 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind words...I think this is the type of target that I would need an obsy for in my light polluted skies...just letting the rig pick up the photons night after night to build up integration time.

Alternatively a few hours at a dark site...

Nice one, i was interested in the composition of this target and found this,

0000694.000&db_key=AST&bits=4&res=100&fi

I have only ever seen it Blue which i thought indicated Oiii but doesnt seem to be any!!

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

It's an LRGB target Roger.

Carole 

Yes i know but i was wondering what actually gases it contained,

Roger

That is a fantastic image considering you location.  Beautifully processed.  You've managed to show the dust without blitzing the background.  I had a look at this a couple of years ago and gave up and my sky is Bortle 5.  Kudos!

On 04/11/2019 at 13:32, apophisOAS said:

Yes i know but i was wondering what actually gases it contained,

Roger

As far as I'm aware Roger there isn't any significant gas there.  The colour is produced by starlight reflected off the dust. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartinB said:

That is a fantastic image considering you location.  Beautifully processed.  You've managed to show the dust without blitzing the background.  I had a look at this a couple of years ago and gave up and my sky is Bortle 5.  Kudos!

Thank you! This was a clear night during galaxy season where there was nothing else worth shooting with my widefield rig...so I went for it....processing was tough as I had seen the beautiful dust-laden shots of the Iris from better skies, so I knew what I wanted to see, but it was clear that I couldn't push the background too far...

...I love all the nice comments...slightly odd that I posted this in June but it looks like the thread was unearthed by someone in November! I'll take it of course!

Edited by eshy76

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rorymultistorey
      So I picked up a classic... a 1970's - 80's edmund optics f6 150mm newtonian...

... like this one but mine has a different mount. It was cheap. Very good condition. The focuser is pants. The mechanics of the secondary holder is (IMHO) brilliant and apparently the primary is 1/10th wave.
      But its f6 and I trhink I'd rather swap it out for a faster synta f5 mirror. .  The thing is its a one shot job bc to make the f5 mirror work I will have to saw off a good few cm from the barrel of the scope.
      So the question is: Is a high quality f6 mirror better than a faster synta f5 mirror for wide deep space astrophotograhy?

All comments gratefully received. 😉 
    • By meryck
      Had a chance to image at a dark sky site for the first time (Møns Klint in Denmark).
      Previous attempts were always ruined by equipment failure or fog. This time everything went to plan, and it was an excellent experience. This was also my first time properly using my standalone autoguider (Synguider 2), after getting the hang of its eccentricities in the backyard. Have to say that once you figure out all the important info that's not in the manual, it's s fantastic piece of kit. Not having a laptop out in the field made things much simpler.
      Two main targets for the night. Horsehead nebula and Iris nebula.
      Horsehead

(40 x 3min subs)
      Iris

(40 x 3min subs)
      (Skywatcher 200P newtonian, EQ5 goto mount, coma corrector, Canon 450D unmodded @ iso 800, Synguider standalone autoguider, processed with DSS and PI)
      I was amazed at the difference a dark site made, and of course the guiding - but regretted not getting 6 hours of data on a single object when I had the chance - was tempted instead to go for multiple, resulting in shorter stacks. But overall, very happy with the experience, and I'll be heading to dark sites any time I get the chance.

• By redhat
      Hello everyone,
      Bit of a backround: I've been a keen stargazer when in my teenage years, then couldn't pursuit my passion, but recently, in my forties, it hit me again, as I moved  and life is good (South facing large garden, obstructed only from the North by our house, but then I just move the scope further and viola!). Started with 90mm refractor, but was always thinking of reflector.
      Long story short, I've got my SkyWatcher Star Discovery 150P GOTO a week ago. Bought it second hand, very good condition, and good mirror. Have got two nights stargazing, cought cold and I AM LOVING IT.
      Now I would like to get me a nice wide angle ep for DSO spotting.
      The scope is 150mm / 750mm f5. I've done some reading obviously, and Explore Scientific 82 degree series have all good reviews and fit within my budget. I can afford only one, and apparently  the best for DSOs is the one that gives 2mm exit pupil. Now, for my scope that would be 10mm piece, and that is not within ES 82 degree range, so it's down to 11mm (2.2mm exit pupil) or 8.8mm (1.76mm exit pupil).
      My question is: which one would be better for my rediscovered passion? I'm gonna be using that ep for faint mostly.
      Thanks to  everyone in advance for any kind advise.

• By ruskclark
      The Wizard Nebula
      An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year. 
      Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it. 
      72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England
      Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop. 
      Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
      ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
      iOptron CEM25p
      ZWO 60mm guide scope
      ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
      Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter
      Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2

• By jjosefsen
      The Needle in RGB
      A beautiful edge on spiral galaxy in the constellation Coma Berenices, around 38,5 million LY from earth.
      Investigations with the Spitzer IR telescope suggests that the galaxy may actually be a barred spiral galaxy with an inner ring as well.
      --------
      Finally got around to processing my data on NGC 4565 from March.
      This was one of my "test projects" from this year, where I only shot R-G-B and created a synthetic luminance master from those frames.
      I think that the most efficient way is still to shoot pure luminance and then just enough R-G-B to get the color you want. Unless one is imaging star clusters, then I think it is totally fine to skip luminance altogether and get as much color data as possible.
      I will try to do a "super luminance" where I add the R-G-B frames to the luminance stack at some point as well.
      Shot with my Hypercam 183m V2 and totalling aroung 4,2 hours of data.
      More info here: https://www.astrobin.com/412663/B/
      Comments and critique is always welcome.

I decided  to put this post in "Getting started with imaging" as it may be interresting for beginners thinking if luminance is worth it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.