Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary with a 76mm to 100mm ?

SAW

Hi,

Planetary observing and imaging with a Tak 76DCU or 100DC worth it or not ? am I wasting my time with this size aperture and in the UK they are very low at the moment.

I have a SW72ED for imaging but had a quick view of Jupiter the other night with 2.25x barlow and 12.5mm eyepiece and it was pretty disappointing it's the only eyepiece I had and it's not a good one, I don't know how much difference a good quality will make the image ? I also tired my 224MC with the barlow and the image was tiny so I am dubious about getting either of these scopes now.

I also want to use it for lunar observing/imaging but if I'm wasting my time on the planetary side of things with these scopes I might ask as well go for the FS-60Q and save some cash.

I do go to Fuerteventura each year and I could take the 76 with me but if the image is going to be like my 72ED there's no point

I would say that for visual 100mm is going to make a difference.

It will make difference for imaging too, but not as much. Maybe lunar will be satisfactory with 100mm. We are now used to see very good and excellent results from our peers so bar is set high - 100mm or less of aperture simply won't resolve planets to the level we are used to - for that you need 8" upwards.

AP side of things uses quite a lot of processing so results are far better than visual - for visual, in average / sub average seeing conditions (meaning planets low, or poor seeing) 100mm is about as much aperture as will be useful (up to x200 magnification). Sure, larger aperture will resolve more - but only if seeing allows.

• Like 1