Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi 4 for Imaging Rigs

Stratis

Great news for us remote imagers (or people who just don't like having a laptop constantly open), the Raspberry Pi 4 has been released!

This model is WAY more capable than previous versions, and has some major upgrades which make it very attractive for AP;

• Up to 4GB of RAM - this speeds up platesolving and enables on-board stacking of larger subs
  • Much faster CPU - everything runs better, at much greater power efficiency, and more high-demand apps at once
  • USB3 - finally! So new CMOS cameras and large-chip sensors can rapidly transfer their subs to the Pi without amp glow
  • Gigabit Ethernet - for people with observatories, this is critical for transferring subs 
  • Onboard wifi - sadly the same as the old Model 3 but still, it enables remote control and connection to wifi mounts

We've seen the Pi and other SBCs used in things like the ZWO ASIair, I really feel the new Pi blows everything else out of the water though in its price range. The efficient CPU means you can effectively run this off a power bank and never have to worry about its draw, and the USB3 means you can link up numerous add-ons like long-range wifi adapters without impacting your sub downloads from the camera which was always a risk with the shared USB2 bus on the old Pi.

I've ordered mine and going to be setting it up as a remote Kstars-based imaging controller bolted to the scope itself; anyone else thinking of doing the same?

pi.PNG

• Like 3

Will probably pick one up and use it for kstars/ekos. Lack of USB3 was preventing me from using one of my raspi 3s. I did go to order one when they came out but the 4GB memory version was already sold out...

Yes there is another thread started about this two days ago, I ordered one then and it came yesterday, and all sold out within hours, but it’s going to be a while before it’s much use to anyone using Kstars, as it does not work at all with Ubuntu yet, so until it has their support the latest Kstars has no chance... so there is really no real rush to buy...not sure why I did to be honest... :)

Been using the rpi3b+ with Kstars  / Stellarmate for a while now and it’s superb, would not use anything else...I have it mounted on the mount, and control from PC indoors...

Edited by StarDodger

Out of interest, what does Kstars need from Ubuntu that isn't in Raspbian?

I found myself tempted to buy one today, but reined in my exuberance when I saw that I couldn't get a heatsink at the same time.

James

25 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I found myself tempted to buy one today, but reined in my exuberance when I saw that I couldn't get a heatsink at the same time.

James

Probably nothing and easy for you guys in the know....

for me to sort that out would be a little more difficult, I want, or should I say need ease..as I am a Linux dummy :(

I went for Ubuntu Mate as there's a script for it to install INDI etc. in one go.  Much less work installing all the bits.  Just run the script and answer a couple of questions.

Edited by Gina

On 26/06/2019 at 22:39, JamesF said:

James

Why not there are thousands on eBay, I ordered one for £1.99 the processor is same size as the rpi3b so same heatsink...and because they have now split the USB and Ethernet chips, not needed on there now.... :)

On 26/06/2019 at 22:39, JamesF said:

James

Apparently Luanchpad/PPA - its used to update software on Ubuntu and does not seem to work 100% on Raspbian(Debian) so I am told. Someone set up Docker  (allows software to be distributed via self enclosed contains as you most likely know) a couple of years ago but it died a death. You can install Kstars (old version 2.6) from APT using Raspbian repositories but it does come with Ekos or at least didn't recognise Ekos.

As a trial I went thru the "compile/Make" route with Raspbian and unfortunately it takes ages - this would need to be repeated each time a new version came out as I understand Indi. Plus do it in the wrong order (I should really read the docs first) you dont get Ekos installed and Kstars doesn't show Ekos in the Tools drop down. It runs and Ekos is available but I did't compile any of the "Third Party" drivers - e.g. EQMOD.

Have asked for a Raspbian image section ,for just major releases, but it didn't happen. A lot to ask for extra support I guess.

The instructions for building from source (Ubuntu and Raspbian) are here fYI https://indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-building-latest-libindi-ekos.html

Julian is the local SGL expert on compiling/make Indi unless Radek chips in 🙂

I'm really interested in using the Pi,  without really understanding what I can use it for..I understand it has to be on linex as it's not compatible with windows(yet)  so I take it can be used for guiding,  data transfer etc with the kstars program .. anyone wish to chip in with how they're using it with theirs please?

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

54 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I'm really interested in using the Pi,  without really understanding what I can use it for..I understand it has to be on linex as it's not compatible with windows(yet)  so I take it can be used for guiding,  data transfer etc with the kstars program .. anyone wish to chip in with how they're using it with theirs please?

I use an rpi3b+ for my full imaging set up, it does it all, I use the Stellarmate OS and use it as a sever on my mount, all kit connected to it, and Kstars runs on a pc indoors and connects wirelessly to the rpi for full controll of equipment,  very stable and non of the inherent USB and COM issues that you get with Ascom....it just seems to work, and one pieces of software, namely Kstars that does the lot.. :)

You can run Kstars on a windows PC, there is a windows version, it’s just INdI that has to be Linux or Mac...so using the rpi and an INdI server and Kstars on a windows PC is a good choice for you.. HTH...

4 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

I use an rpi3b+ for my full imaging set up, it does it all, I use the Stellarmate OS and use it as a sever on my mount, all kit connected to it, and Kstars runs on a pc indoors and connects wirelessly to the rpi for full controll of equipment,  very stable and non of the inherent USB and COM issues that you get with Ascom....it just seems to work, and one pieces of software, namely Kstars that does the lot.. :)

You can run Kstars on a windows PC, there is a windows version, it’s just INdI that has to be Linux or Mac...so using the rpi and an INdI server and Kstars on a windows PC is a good choice for you.. HTH...

That sounds great..I have issues atm of ascom crashing and unrecognised com ports , thought it was just me..sounds like just the thing im after, things that just work..

So you can run phd on kstars, can you use things like SGP and APT?  I'm quite computer illiterate, but my daughter's boyfriend works for raspberry Pi, but has no astro knowledge.. 

4 hours ago, newbie alert said:

That sounds great..I have issues atm of ascom crashing and unrecognised com ports , thought it was just me..sounds like just the thing im after, things that just work..

So you can run phd on kstars, can you use things like SGP and APT?  I'm quite computer illiterate, but my daughter's boyfriend works for raspberry Pi, but has no astro knowledge.. 

PhD will run on the rpi yes, but has to be started first in sever mode, then controlled from within Kstars, if you run Kstars then there is no need to anything else....IMO, but Apt will not work with INdI, not sure about SGP... :)

40 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

PhD will run on the rpi yes, but has to be started first in sever mode, then controlled from within Kstars, if you run Kstars then there is no need to anything else....IMO, but Apt will not work with INdI, not sure about SGP... :)

Just been looking, Kstars, ekos looks really good..

Got a R-pi coming next week

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Just been looking, Kstars, ekos looks really good..

Got a R-pi coming next week

Well FYI, the new rpi4 will not work with Kstars very easily until there is ubuntu support, it can be done but not for the faint hearted and Linux noobs like me...so still using the rpi3b+ for now.. :)

20 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Well FYI, the new rpi4 will not work with Kstars very easily until there is ubuntu support, it can be done but not for the faint hearted and Linux noobs like me...so still using the rpi3b+ for now.. :)

Ok, sounds like I need to ask a question 

Well I Have the latest INdI and Kstars up and running on the rpi4 under the new raspbian buster, had to compile myself, but working ok, and very fast, have yet to try in anger with kit connected, but looking good.... am very pleased with myself as never compiled from git hub before.. 😀😀

• Like 3

I've ordered a 4GB PI4 and might get it in July according to the site KUBII (I'm in France). Initially I aim to put INDIGO on it and use APT to remotely control things (it has INDIGO support). Really I want to go the EKOS / Kstars route so I don't need a PC just a tablet to monitor things, much more portable.  Another project on the go!

2 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Well I Have the latest INdI and Kstars up and running on the rpi4 under the new raspbian buster, had to compile myself, but working ok, and very fast, have yet to try in anger with kit connected, but looking good.... am very pleased with myself as never compiled from git hub before.. 😀😀

Please post on Indi Forum - you must be the first - well done - see just follow the instructions 🙂

Does this include any the 3rd party drivers  - a list would be good 🙂

1 minute ago, stash_old said:

Please post on Indi Forum - you must be the first - well done - see just follow the instructions 🙂

Does this include any the 3rd party drivers  - a list would be good 🙂

I installed the full set of 3rd party drivers, and seem to work ok, the ones I tried anyway, EQMOD and SX CCD...

Had a few issues with INdI WebManager as I could not get permission to copy files on the rpi desktop, so had to resort to the terminal.. 😮

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dunc said:

I've ordered a 4GB PI4 and might get it in July according to the site KUBII (I'm in France). Initially I aim to put INDIGO on it and use APT to remotely control things (it has INDIGO support). Really I want to go the EKOS / Kstars route so I don't need a PC just a tablet to monitor things, much more portable.  Another project on the go!

My experience of Tablets with Indi is not good - depends on the screen size /resolution and if you have "fat" fingers but too many - duh wrong button pressed.  

Seems I am not the only one https://indilib.org/forum/ekos/5363-small-buttons-trend.html 

But if it works for you - great.

p.s. Let us(SGL) know how the Indigo works on Rpi4. 🙂