Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus is occulted by the Moon in daylight on 1st December 2008

Adrian Condon

To you lucky people not affected by cloud, rain, work etc, there is an opportunity this coming Monday 1st December 2008 to witness Venus disappearing behind the Moon at 15:48 GMT (3:48pm) and reappearing in the dark at 17:17 GMT (5:17pm) in the South.

Slightly earlier in the North disappearing at 15:42 and reappears at 17:10.

Incidentally, Jupiter will only be a couple of degrees to the north at the time.

I am praying to the Rain Gods sunny.gifso that there are no clouds etc over the UK for this event.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first post here... I just saw Venus disappear behind the moon, a perfect clear sky here in Portsmouth! despite the forecasts of cloud and rain!!!... going up to the observatory in Clanfield now to see the reappearance and take some pics!

Congrats to those who saw it!

Cloudy here on the Surrey/Berkshire border.

Still I got to stand on a hill in 2degC temperature, assemble my scope and camera and then disassemble it!

Still it was worth going out, I got a nice view of the Moon and Venus about 3.30 through a gap in the clouds just before the cloud just sort of thickened up.

Cheers

Danny

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!! Had the telescope cooling since lunchtime under promising skies and what do you know, yeah you guessed it, Ten minutes before the main event it clouded over. Now it's threatening to rain. Carp!

Jack.

That was so cool! I had no idea this was happening today. I just looked out the window, to see clear skies here in Cornwall, and, wait a minute, there's a planet missing! Grabbed the binoculars just in time to see Venus re appear like a little 'bling' on the bright edge of the moon. I quickly set up the 'scope, (through dirty double glazing) and could see in one view The moon, Venus, Jupiter and three of Jupiter's moons.

Managed to get a great view of Venus reappearing here in the West Midlands at around 17:00-17:20 just before more clouds rolled in. Had to drive round for a while to find a decent place to view it from but it was well worth it. No images I'm sorry to say, but as someone very new to astronomy this was a great experiance.

Was in my Spanish garden with the family picking olives this evening when suddenly someone said "look at the moon, theres a bright light come out of the bottom of it". I'm no astronomer but take an interest in these things. Searched the internet to see what the planets were and found your site and the note about Jupiter's moons. Only have a 25x zoom binocular with a tripod mount used for birding but could see the three moons as pinpricks. Took some photos but as Venus has blue and red "shadows" I guess the moons will not show. A shame most of you couldn't have had our weather.

Missed is Venus going behind the Moon due to dense cloud. ([removed word]!)

Missed is Venus coing out from behind the Moon due to dense cloud. ([removed word]!)

However, ten minutes later we had beautifully clear skies and was greeted with the gorgeous site of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter in my 10 x 50 binoculars.

Ah well!

Archived