Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Camera Rotator for 72ED now Available

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 17:11, StarlightHunter said:

Just to add more information to this flattener thread, it has a 2" thread on the telescope side so you can screw filters on it.

Edited by Topographic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at the entry for the rotator at First Light Optics it is

"Only fully compatible with the Evostar-72ED OTA (shortened tube version) shipped from December 2019. Earlier versions of the telescope may not reach focus with some cameras when using the rotator."

Do we know which cameras, or which makes of camera? 

I can't find anything about a new version?

That's news to me. So now they have shortened the 72ED, apart from the tube being shortened have they changed anything else, may I ask?

However it does work with an OVL Flattener.

Edited by Skyline

1 hour ago, Topographic said:

I can't find anything about a new version?

36 minutes ago, Skyline said:

That's news to me. So now they have shortened the 72ED, apart from the tube being shortened have they changed anything else, may I ask?

From memory (it’s Sunday) Synta/Sky-Watcher shortened the OTA length 10mm to make it easier to use their rotator with DSLR cameras. They said that was the only change made to the design.

HTH, 

Steve 

• 6 months later...
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:31, StarlightHunter said:

I received my rotator almost a month ago and it fitted perfectly with the OVL flattener. You need to unscrew the beveled part of the flattener. That's it.

Here it is a photo of the fitting. Hope this helps

IMG_20190813_092714.jpg

IMG_20190813_092601.jpg

how did you remove the bevelled section mine is rock solid on the OVL FF

• Like 1

Hi @fozzybear

I've just rotated it counterclockwise like any other thread.

If it is rock solid in your case maybe you will need to use some tricks.

Apply some heat near the thread with a lighter and then, with a thick cloth in your hand try to unscrew it. You could also use WD-40 but that could spill over the lens and maybe damage the coating.

No other ideas for that.

Edited by StarlightHunter
Wrongly entered
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, StarlightHunter said:

Hi @fozzybear

I've just rotated it counterclockwise like any other thread.

If it is rock solid in your case maybe you will need to use some tricks.

Apply some heat near the thread with a lighter and then, with a thick cloth in your hand try to unscrew it. You could also use WD-40 but that could spill over the lens and maybe damage the coating.

No other ideas for that.

many thanks

• Like 1

well managed to free the bevelled section it was really stuck on. Solution a little hot water to cover the bevelled section in a tray and left the FF for a couple of minutes in it's bath a pair of rubber gloves and hey presto she succumbed and gave in (maybe a little adhesive applied in production)

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Anyone tried this with the StellaMira 2" Field Flattener as I believe it's identical to the ovl field flattener ! ? Any way I've ordered the rotator and will update later this week.

And yes that bevelled section is really stuck on ! Gonna soak it in hot water as suggested !

Ordered a rubber wrench thing now as it's not shifting and it definitely comes off as if you look inside there's further threads behind the bezel ! 

Edited by Craigyorkstar
Added a comment

2 hours ago, Craigyorkstar said:

Update.

Got it off by screwing the nose piece into the bezel really tight then unscrewing it and the bezel came off with it, it screws into the rotator now but the threads aren't brilliant but it's tight so I'm happy.

mine was the same so maybe the pitch of the thread is different but mine went on the same as yours 

• Thanks 1

So to rotate the camera you undo the two thumbscrews on the rotator and then rotate? What's the difference then in just undoing the thumbscrews on the telescope and rotating the field flattener? Unless I am missing something??

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have received my rotator today for my 72ed, I removed the small bezel which was quite hard but as others suggested I used a combination of hot water abd screwing the other part in tight to remove. When connected to my scope on the FF to rotator side it doesn't seem to screw in all the way and a thread is still showing. Hopefully I can still achieve focus with my 294MC pro, will test out on next clear spell. IMG_20220115_123026.thumb.jpg.f9683883a28b6aad1df69c126c44843b.jpg

IMG_20220115_123015.jpg

IMG_20220115_122429.jpg

IMG_20220115_122340.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, StarlightHunter said:

I'm sure it will workI was usin the same rotator/lattener/spacers/camera and you will achieve focus.

Just a suggestion: use an IR/UV cut filter. you can thread it inside the rotator. That way you will not get very bloated stars.

Thank you for the advice on a ir/uv filter, would it be a 2 inch one? Or could I fit a 1.25inch one direct to the 294mc pro? Yes I hope to achieve focus, I think I will have to get the focus tube in a little bit more than without the rotator in. I'll let you know 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee

22 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you for the advice on a ir/uv filter, would it be a 2 inch one? Or could I fit a 1.25inch one direct to the 294mc pro? Yes I hope to achieve focus, I think I will have to get the focus tube in a little bit more than without the rotator in. I'll let you know 👍

If you have the 2" one you can fit in directly in the rotator. It you have a 1.25" filter the best option is to use the adapter that came with the camera to put it inside the 11mm ring.

ZWO M42 to 1.25-inch Filter Adapter

• Thanks 1