Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

these days we have a sunny and hot summer over here. Today I tried to capture the "aura" of the sun caused by some dust in our atmosphere when doing the pastel sketch of the H alpha solar disc. I spent almost half an hour with the solar disc and its aura and then just 15 minutes for the proms and filaments. So here's the result:

20190626_Sun_H_alpha_small.JPG.022143f5d644a98e3996cc4b33fb064c.JPG

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: June 26th, 2019 /1030-1115 CEST
Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on black Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
Size: 24 x 32 cm

Clear (and sunny) skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 2

Great sketch, thanks for sharing.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      these days we have a sunny and hot summer over here. Today I tried to capture the "aura" of the sun caused by some dust in our atmosphere when doing the pastel sketch of the H alpha solar disc. I spent almost half an hour with the solar disc and its aura and then just 15 minutes for the proms and filaments. So here's the result:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Date & Time: June 26th, 2019 /1030-1115 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on black Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      two days after the previous sketch, I made another pastel sketch of the H alpha sun showing quite well, how the sun rotated and how the filaments and prominences have changed in two days:

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
      Date & Time: June 7th, 2019 / 1000-1030 CEST
      Technique: reddish and black Koh-i-Noor soft pastels and pastel pens on light-grey Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Size: 24x31cm
      Here's the direct comparison:

I struggled a bit with the white balance on the smart phone camera when taking the pictures of the sketches. Both are done on the same light-grey paper.
      Clear and sunny skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      the prominences of the previous days on limb of the sun now are visible as filaments on the solar disc itself. Lacking amazing prominences on the limb, I hsve been concentrating on sketching the filaments this time. Compared with my previous sketches they moved from the right towards the middle. Note that my sketches are usually left-right-flipped due to the telescope's mirror.
      So here's the result:

Date & Time: June 7th, 2019 / 1000-1030 CEST
      Technique: reddish and black Koh-i-Noor soft pastels and pastel pens on light-grey Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear and sunny skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      this morning, I woke up because of lightning and thunder here in Dusseldorf area.  After the thunderstorm had moved away towards northeast- and before the next bunch of clouds appeared, I enjoyed the sunshine on the home terrace. To maximize my joy, I set up the H-alpha-telescope to have a look at the solar "weather". 
      This time I once again chose natural vine charcoal which is made of the very same atoms than the solar nucleus: carbon. The prominence on the top limb of my sketch was pretty tricky to sketch its set of needle-sharp "rays" in front of the foggy background. Let me share this sketch here as my second contribution to the solar imaging challenge:

Date & Time: June 3rd, 2019 / 1000-1030 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.