Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
acr_astro

Pastel sketch of the H alpha sun, June 26th

Dear all,

these days we have a sunny and hot summer over here. Today I tried to capture the "aura" of the sun caused by some dust in our atmosphere when doing the pastel sketch of the H alpha solar disc. I spent almost half an hour with the solar disc and its aura and then just 15 minutes for the proms and filaments. So here's the result:

20190626_Sun_H_alpha_small.JPG.022143f5d644a98e3996cc4b33fb064c.JPG

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: June 26th, 2019 /1030-1115 CEST
Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on black Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
Size: 24 x 32 cm

Clear (and sunny) skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By melsmore
      First the disclaimer. This is my first attempt to sketch Mars, or indeed any planet. Also, it started to rain and I had to abandon it with some urgency (hence no orientation marker). I used a HB pencil and a blending stump. But I think I can see a couple of features that match Ade Ashford's app.
      The Wratten 21 filter improved the view enormously (although you may find that hard to believe looking at the picture) helping show the surface detail and improving the seeing. I tried it the day before in my 80mm refractor, but that just made the image too dim, but on the 115mm it was very good, so I recommend it to anyone with 115mm or larger.
      I tried sketching the moon (Plato) several years ago, but SWMBO pronounced it (I'll paraphrase her here) more Feline Anatomical than Selenographical. While this one may look more like a two year's old attempt at drawing a rabbit, at least no one can confuse it with the rear end of the cat. So regardless of the criticism I receive here, I'll give it another go tonight (weather permitting). 🧐

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      compared to four days ago, the solar disc and the prominences looked a bit more interestingly varied. I could do a sketch during the lunch break:

Date & Time: May 19th, 2020 / 1300-1330 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

• By acr_astro
      Hi all,
      as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.

Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      this morning, before going off to work, I started the day with a lunar sketch of lunar sunset before sunrise at home. I had put the 5" MAK outside over night, so it was properly cooled.

Telescope: Celestron NexStar 127 SLT
      Eyepiece: Explore Scientific 6.7mm/82°
      Date & Time: January 16th, 2020 / 0715-0745 CET
      Technique: Koh-i-Noor chalk, extra charcoal and whitecoal pens and pieces on Seawhite of Brighton black sketching paper
      Size: appr. 20x30cm

Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday evening I have chosen the lunar crater J. Herschel (named after British astronomer John Herschel from 19th century, the son of William Herschel) which exposed a pretty convexed floor in the rising sun. The crater has a diameter of about 150 km and lies at the northern "coast" of Mare Frigoris.
      The sketch starts with Harpalus in the South, then you can see the 24 km crater Horrebow (named after a Danish astronomer from 17th century) just at the southern rim of J. Herschel. At the northern end of my sketch we have the 71 km crater Philolaus.
      The dominating crater J. Herschel (too be precisely a walled plain) has a quite rough surface which is said to be caused by ejecta from the impact that formed the Mare Imbrium. This rough structure and its convexed shape resulted in a nice three-dimensional appearance.
      Southeast of it, I sketched the secondary craters J. Herschel F and la Condamine B which are located in Mare Frigoris.
      So here's the sketch:

Telescope: Celestron NexStar 127 SLT
      Eyepiece: Explore Scientific 14mm/82° (due to the poor seeing, I couldn't go for the 6.7mm/82°)
      Date & Time: January 6th, 2020 / 1845-1945 CET
      Technique: Koh-i-Noor chalk, extra charcoal and whitecoal pens and pieces on Seawhite of Brighton black sketching paper
      Size: appr. 20x30cm
      And finally here's a photo of my observation place:

Clear skies!
      Achim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.