SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Questions about EEVA setup (lots of questions)

Ags

I showed some EEVA videos to my family and... I have been asked to sort out an EEVA setup today. Happy to oblige of course!

In terms of scope I have an ST80, which I may or may not use with a 0.5x focal reducer. I doubt I could use my Skymax 102, although I would give it a try with the 0.5 reducer for some smaller and brighter targets (such as planetary nebulae).

I don't have a tracking mount, so I am definitely getting the AZ-GTi, which will go on my Berlebach Report tripod.

I don't have a camera, so I am looking at the following:

ASI120MM-S - 3.75μm pixels, gives 0.7x0.5 degrees FOV at 400mm FL

ASI224MC - 3.75μm pixels, gives 0.7x0.5 degrees FOV at 400mm FL

ASI385MC - 3.75μm pixels, gives 1.0x0.6 degrees FOV at 400mm FL

ASI178MM - 2.4μm pixels, gives 1.1x0.7 degrees FOV at 400mm FL

In terms of easy of finding targets the 178 is best, but it has the smallest pixels. On the other hand it is mono, so that compensates and perhaps I can bin 2x2? Can you bin with EEVA? Is a 6MP sensor too big (in data terms) for live stacking?

The 178 also seems best for solar system imaging with smaller telescopes and as its mono I can also use it for narrowband imaging with camera lenses from my light polluted location.

If the 178 is not suitable for EEVA then I would go for the 385. The 120 and 224 are only on the list because of price. Not sure which of these would be better - 120 mono or 224 color? Is color any use in EEVA?

Quick question on 224MC - because of the bayer matrix does it mean that for red (for example) light gathering is 3.75μm squared per pixel, but resolution is actually like 7.5μm pixels?

Edited by Ags

In case somebody comes across this topic by random googling, I will answer my own questions from the experience of a few evenings. ASI178MM is very sensitive, compared to my Canon 1100D. Yes you can bin and live stack (I have used 2x2 and 3x3 binning, the ASI178MM also supports 4x4). 6 megapixels is not too big for live stacking (on my relatively fast laptop: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U). The ST80 cannot be be combined with a 0.5 reducer, it results in an optical mess. The AZ-GTi works brilliantly for this application; in comparison to the Nexstar 4SE I used to have, the AZ GTi keeps targets stationary in the view and goto is reliable and accurate. I am using it in AZ mode so there is a bit of field rotation, but nothing to cause issue with 10 second subs. In terms of image scale and usability, it was definitely worth getting the 9mm diagonal sensor rather than the 6mm alternatives.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

sorry you didn't get any answers to this,  but glad you went ahead and found out for yourself. 

have the AZ-GTi with both the st80 and a 130p  and just waiting on a 183c camera coming, so hoping to do some remote EAA with it.

would love to see what you have managed to get with your set up

thanks

• Like 1