Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Picking the best time for solar observing

Paz

I am interested in hearing experiences on the best timing for solar viewing.

Most of my observing is later in the day when heat haze has picked up.

The best solar sessions I've had have been in the morning when the ground hasn't heated up yet.

Is there an optimum time in the morning - too early and the sun is low and you are looking through a lot of atmosphere. Too late and although  the sun is higher the turbulence will have picked up.

How many hours after sun rise or how many degrees high seem to work best for you.

Or maybe you have found other times or circumstances to work well.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, it's usually accepted that 10am and 4pm potentially are the best times though this can vary depending on other circumstances. My experience with solar as well as planetary observation is that objects improve rapidly once they rise above 30 degrees from the horizon. For solar observation, Ha viewing seems less affected by altitude than white light.   😀 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Generally speaking, it's usually accepted that 10am and 4pm potentially are the best times though this can vary depending on other circumstances. My experience with solar as well as planetary observation is that objects improve rapidly once they rise above 30 degrees from the horizon. For solar observation, Ha viewing seems less affected by altitude than white light.   😀 

That is interesting to know about Ha observing, I've yet to have a go at that.

Peter will know far more about this than most of us! My experience is generally the same though, morning and later in the afternoon as things start to cool off.

• Like 1