Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M92 - A quick look at the other Globular in Hercules

PhotoGav

Messier 92 - The 'Other' Globular Cluster in Hercules

M92-LRGB-08-Final.thumb.png.0d8b7104c8f015cadda8bc330de58de4.png

Here is my image of M92, the other Globular Cluster in Hercules. It is about 27,000 light years away from Earth and is one of the brightest and oldest Globular Clusters observed in the Milky Way. I was curious to read that it is one of the oldest as my thoughts while processing the image were around how many blue stars there are in it, wondering whether that might suggest that it is younger than other globulars I have imaged... how wrong I turned out to be! The question remains - why so many blue stars? Answers on the back of a postcard to London, W12 8QT (sorry youngsters, you probably won't get that reference!). I expect to read the term 'blue stragglers' a great deal!!

The image is made from just one hour of data in each of red, green and blue filters. That is so way below my usual data requirement, but I think the image is OK as it is. I started doing a quick data process just to see how the project was coming along, but began to think that it was looking pretty good and wondered whether any more data would make a significant difference or not. My intention is to move on to another globular cluster instead of continuing with this one. What do you all reckon? Enough data at just three hours to warrant moving on to the next target or not?

Technical Details

RGB = 12 x 300s each
TOTAL = 3 hours

Celestron EdgeHD 8", QSI 683-WSG8 with Astrodon 31mm filters, Mesu 200. Processed in APP and PS.

I look forward to reading your comments and wish you all clear skies as we now move again towards the long dark nights of winter, well slowly in the right direction anyway!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Thank you. Yes, native FL, no reducer involved. Long live the Mesu!!!

hahahahaha don't make me change my mind on my new mount 😛 I guess imaging at native FL will be a dream i will have to carry to my grave :D

Your collimation is spot on as well. I take it you did it yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

hahahahaha don't make me change my mind on my new mount 😛 I guess imaging at native FL will be a dream i will have to carry to my grave :D

Your collimation is spot on as well. I take it you did it yourself?

What mount have you gone for? Yes, I have been quite attentive towards collimation recently. I’m happy to report that it has been relatively easy too. Well worth doing as the difference is significant. 

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Gav..  I’d stop there, and add to your collection..  how was the auto focus? 

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yup, on to the next glob... Autofocus was almost cooperative! It managed to do it on this framing too, without having to slew away from the Globular. It’s still a bit of a pillock though and often messes up with the Edge. It also has to be very nearly perfect to start with for any degree of success. I ended up nursing the system through each session, which is fine, but not quite the ‘fire and forget’ system it is with the refractors!

• Like 1

Spot on, lovely colour.

I haven’t imaged anything since the start of May, all the gear is packed up ready for the retirement move but then the permanent observatory build can start and no work to get in the way!

I’m afraid you then need to be prepared for the cloudiest UK Autumn on record...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

What mount have you gone for? Yes, I have been quite attentive towards collimation recently. I’m happy to report that it has been relatively easy too. Well worth doing as the difference is significant. 

Ioptron CEM60-EC. Let's hope its not a massive disappointment 😛

What did you use to collimate the scope? 

57 minutes ago, tomato said:

Spot on, lovely colour.

I haven’t imaged anything since the start of May, all the gear is packed up ready for the retirement move but then the permanent observatory build can start and no work to get in the way!

I’m afraid you then need to be prepared for the cloudiest UK Autumn on record...

Thank you. Congratulations on the start of your freedom! Good luck with the obsy build... years of tinkering in the offing - excellent!

38 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Ioptron CEM60-EC. Let's hope its not a massive disappointment 😛

What did you use to collimate the scope? 

It will be great! The disappointment will be forthcoming in the shape of endless cloud!

Collimation was done on a star, with the camera still attached taking looping short exposures and the view zoomed right in. Worked well.

• Like 1