SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pier and Pier Base Construction

souls33k3r

56 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Lol, well done, in this heat today too....

But don’t quite think it’s 2 foot square at the bottom... 😀😀, understandably though.. 👍

Lol I know right? I started to get proper OCD about it being square at the bottom but tried to keep it closer to 2 feet square at the bottom as well. 

I still do plan on making it slightly wider but that'll be a job for next weekend only because today was the only day I had to myself. 

54 minutes ago, Gina said:

That should be fine IMO.

Phew! That's a relief. 

51 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A nice neat hole,
you should be applauded digging in today's heat 👏

Cheers Alan. 

Well I am a half madman so picked one of the finest days of the year to start the pier. 

Now I've spoken to my next door neighbour and he has very kindly offered to help me with mixing and pouring of the concrete. 

He did say we could do it all with hand but I'll see if I can hire a cement mixer to make our lives easier. 

• Like 1

If you are worried about the hole size & shape there is possibility of shaving the sides using a spade,while standing in the hole. Overdo it and you have bell mine. But you do get a bigger lump of concrete deep down.

Definitely hire a cement mixer. An all day job becomes a one hour job. It is also much easier to produce a consistent mix.

• Like 4

I really recommend not only hiring a mixer, but someone to operate it for you too !!

Outsourcing didn't really fade away after the 90's... Just went underground...

Gordon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bukko said:

I really recommend not only hiring a mixer, but someone to operate it for you too !!

Outsourcing didn't really fade away after the 90's... Just went underground...

Gordon.

I would agree that operating a mixer isn't nearly as easy as it looks. Luckily the neighbour who helped me with my base was a builder, so I got to watch not do... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I would agree that operating a mixer isn't nearly as easy as it looks. Luckily the neighbour who helped me with my base was a builder, so I got to watch not do... 

Never found operating a mixer particularly difficult, only still hard work. Us "thinkers" rather than "doers" are not designed for hard work...

Gordon.

• Haha 2

So heard all your valuable advice and spoken to my neighbour who basically is a plumber by trade but knows his work around cement and whatnot. He was very kind to offer me to help with the cement part of this so we agreed we will do this over the weekend. 

I had also spoken to a friend of mine who has a cement mixer but firstly he lives a bit too far from me (and I don't drive as well) and secondly the mixer was a bit too big for his car. 

I have found someone online who will do the cement mix for me but I'm not entirely sure which one should I be getting

https://rmsconcrete.co.uk/prices/

Would appreciate if someone can guide me. My absolute no knowledge in this matter suggests C25. Will call them tomorrow to get a "proper quote" because the last time I did that, they were charging me £280 which was a fixed rate for anything up to 1 cubic meter. 

Worse case scenario, I have also locates a hire station quite close to my home so will also call them tomorrow to find out how much would it be to hire a cement mixer. Won't be looking at the petrol one for sure but in terms of the size, any recommendations? 

11 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

So heard all your valuable advice and spoken to my neighbour who basically is a plumber by trade but knows his work around cement and whatnot. He was very kind to offer me to help with the cement part of this so we agreed we will do this over the weekend. 

I had also spoken to a friend of mine who has a cement mixer but firstly he lives a bit too far from me (and I don't drive as well) and secondly the mixer was a bit too big for his car. 

I have found someone online who will do the cement mix for me but I'm not entirely sure which one should I be getting

https://rmsconcrete.co.uk/prices/

Would appreciate if someone can guide me. My absolute no knowledge in this matter suggests C25. Will call them tomorrow to get a "proper quote" because the last time I did that, they were charging me £280 which was a fixed rate for anything up to 1 cubic meter. 

Worse case scenario, I have also locates a hire station quite close to my home so will also call them tomorrow to find out how much would it be to hire a cement mixer. Won't be looking at the petrol one for sure but in terms of the size, any recommendations? 

The fixed rate for anything up to 1 cubic meter is because most of the cost is actually doing the delivery to you, not the concrete itself.
My guess would be the prices on that site is price for the concrete alone so delivery is extra

• Like 1

You don't need a big mixer, something around a 85 to 100 litre volume..

Mix small batches, a wheelbarrow amount at a time. With two people, one can load and mix, the second emptying thee wheelbarrow into the hole whilie the first re-loads the mixer...

"I" laid three foundations when I started my build, it was enough to justify a ready-mix load, but it was agreed with my builder that it would be cheaper (and easier to manage) if we just mixed as required.

Good luck with the base, I am sure it will go well...

Gordon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xplode said:

The fixed rate for anything up to 1 cubic meter is because most of the cost is actually doing the delivery to you, not the concrete itself.
My guess would be the prices on that site is price for the concrete alone so delivery is extra

Possibly. I've just rang someone and left them a voice mail requesting for a call back. Let's see what they tell me

4 hours ago, Bukko said:

You don't need a big mixer, something around a 85 to 100 litre volume..

Mix small batches, a wheelbarrow amount at a time. With two people, one can load and mix, the second emptying thee wheelbarrow into the hole whilie the first re-loads the mixer...

"I" laid three foundations when I started my build, it was enough to justify a ready-mix load, but it was agreed with my builder that it would be cheaper (and easier to manage) if we just mixed as required.

Good luck with the base, I am sure it will go well...

Gordon.

Called a hire company who are not far from my home. Been quoted £18 + VAT for the day and then £6 + VAT for an extra day or £36 + VAT for the week. Asking for £100 deposit. Just need to let these people know a day before i want it. So this will be my Plan B if the ready mix cement company plan doesn't work out stupid price.

7 minutes ago, Bukko said:

If you go with your Plan B...

Make sure the mixer is cleaned out afterwards, I would think that's why they want a £100 deposit...

Good luck.

Gordon.

Good shout mate. I'll make sure before i pick it up to check how would they like it to be returned. Will take pictures of before and after for proof.

• Like 1

I'd hire a mixer then you won't be relying on other people, they generally only need your credit card details and don't always take the deposit money anyway as long as they've got some security if you disappear with their mixer.

Get a bit of tough polythene sheet to put on the lawn, stand the mixer next to your hole and mix and tip straight into it, don't look into the mixer while it's starting to mix else you'll get an eyeful of cement :grin:

A couple of old bricks or suchlike are good for cleaning the mixer along with a bucket of water and leave it running for 10 minutes, really need a barrow to tip the dirty water into then.

Dave

• Like 1

I'd use something like a 4 parts ballast to 1 cement, with the mixer running put the ballast in first then cement, let them mix for a couple of minutes then add water down the bottom front edge a bit at a time until it looks about right and let it run for about 10 minutes. better too wet than to dry, you won't need a slump test 😂

Dave

• Like 1

So the pier design has been in the works

The tube is 1300mm, the base plate is 460mm x 460mm and the top plate i wanted to see how it will look with a 200mm, 250mm & 300mm. I'm going to settle for 200mm. Not only does it look good but also less chance of the counter weight shaft to be hitting it.

A massive shout out to @angryowl for being such a massive help. Really good friends are a blessing and i'm truly blessed to have him live so near me. A true friend.

200mm top plate

Pier_200_01.thumb.png.65c4456f31b0e4abde6e6ceb2dcc8b17.pngPier_200_02.thumb.png.590ee85289244032a444c4520eb4c5f1.pngPier_200_03.thumb.png.ed74d4d3a7c6147ebe4cdbcc5bbd75a2.png

250mm top plate

Pier_250_01.thumb.png.ae33a4cf769d27b65ed734a70ec4a1a0.pngPier_250_02.thumb.png.8c73354cbe6164b140abe5a13e17a21c.pngPier_250_03.thumb.png.2b33fa37464ecd10ed1b9d4fd016ea4d.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I'd hire a mixer then you won't be relying on other people, they generally only need your credit card details and don't always take the deposit money anyway as long as they've got some security if you disappear with their mixer.

Get a bit of tough polythene sheet to put on the lawn, stand the mixer next to your hole and mix and tip straight into it, don't look into the mixer while it's starting to mix else you'll get an eyeful of cement :grin:

A couple of old bricks or suchlike are good for cleaning the mixer along with a bucket of water and leave it running for 10 minutes, really need a barrow to tip the dirty water into then.

Dave

Awesome advise mate and i'll make sure i don't get cement on my Tom Ford's :D

37 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I'd use something like a 4 parts ballast to 1 cement, with the mixer running put the ballast in first then cement, let them mix for a couple of minutes then add water down the bottom front edge a bit at a time until it looks about right and let it run for about 10 minutes. better too wet than to dry, you won't need a slump test 😂

Dave

I knew the quantity and will get my neighbour to help me out with the cement bit but will make sure we follow this advise. Top man mate. Much appreciated :)

12 hours ago, Xplode said:

You were almost right on that mate. Just spoken to these people and I got quoted £77 for the cubic meter for the cement. If i unload it myself then there's no extra charge for the first 30 minutes and then £60 for every hour i guess or was it half an hour and if i get their pipe to have it unloaded, that would be £280.