Narrowband

Coronado PST

PaulB

Good morning folks,

I have a PST which is approx 4 yrs old. 

Thankfully it is still under the five years warranty that Meade gives you. 

The reason why, I am, pleased about the warranty cover. The little ITF filter on the PST where your eyepiece goes has become opaque.

I noticed recently a deterioration in the optical quality. The Sun in a cloud-free sky was beginning to look dim.  I am alarmed, to say the least, that this has happened. It is through no fault on my part, the PST has been kept in a warm and dry environment. I have been in touch with RVO whom I brought it from. Hopefully, they will be able to have the filter replaced, once they have spoken with the UK supplier.

Edited by PaulB

Paul,

It’s most unusual for the final little red filter in the eyepiece tube to deteriorate.

This is the blocking filter, a very narrowband red filter.

The ITF is located at the bottom of the eyepiece tube section where it meets the black box. This can be difficult to examine due to the loctite used during assembly.

I have never seen a blocking filter fail in my >ten years experience with PST’s but I have seen numerous ITF failures.

If the ITF has failed then it SHOULD be covered by warranty and be replaced by Meade.

you may find a problem.....the warranty documents say if the PST is opened, then you may void the warranty. Doesn’t make sense, as you have to removed the eyepiece holder to determine the failure of the ITF!!!!

(Replacement ITF drop-in filters can be obtained from Maier Photonics, USA)

Hi Merlin66

I have been in touch with Meade but they are unresponsive.

So. Rather then mess about going around in circles. I brought a Maier filter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul.

As a former PST owner, I read this thread with interest. My PSTs were bought 2nd hand and well out of warranty. After fighting the loctite I made one from two that had suffered different problems.

I'm wondering why you had to approach Meade directly. Surely RVO who sold you the scope would have 'held your coat' in any warranty arguments?

David.

Our club has a PST, which have had as a loan scope for over 10 years, and not had similar issue

I recently purchased Solarmax11, and very disappointed in it

Not much different to the PST, except for the tuner

Does not have focusing knob, instead has slide tube to focus, and a fine tune focusing ring

They have also used plastic, not metal thread locking screws to secure the eyepiece

The attached finderscope is almost useless due to size

I use but of paper, to finderscope to align

Attached pic solarmax on my EQ5 mount

Prior to purchasing the Solarmax, used glass solar filter on my ED80

John

Coronado Solarmax 11 EQ5 mount.jpg