Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Demonperformer

Weird ... same settings, vastly different number of stars

The other night, I got a rather weird thing happen using Sharpcap. In live-stacking, the first image arrived and it was full of stars. So, without changing any settings, I did a "platesolve" (which also realigns the scope) to centralise my target. It did its single frame capture and I got a practically blank screen and a message saying it could only detect 3 stars. I tried reducing the "sigma" setting, as advised by the on-screen message, with little effect. What gets me is that the same settings produced a whole mass of stars in each of the subs that were being live-stacked. Never had this happen to me before, and no, of course I didn't do anything intelligent like saving the log file!

I can always try to replicate this next time (although I always find trying to replicate something that isn't working to be a weird activity in itself!), but on the off-chance that anyone can see what was happening without the log file, I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Davenn
      The Sun, 14 May 2019 One significant active region AR2741 One reasonable prominence on the limb LUNT LS60THa Solar scope, ASI 1600MM and ZWO Tilt Adjuster           Cheers Dave
    • By Fraunhoffer
      I don't have a goto mount and I wondered if there was just a simple way of showing where the scope is pointing on (for example) stellarium or kstars.

I try and star hop to where I want to go and in the depths of the garden (or remote) I don't have any wifi to run nova.astrometry. so Im looking for a platesolving app that can run standalone on a windows laptop.
      Usually I get to where I want to see, but sometimes I just get lost so Im looking for something that will help confirm or show where I have ended up so that I can manually adjust the scope to get where I want.

A typical use case would be....

Locate bright star near target.
      Check collimation of camera, finder, telephoto (with dslr or gpcam + startcap)
      Move/starhop to target.
      … check whats supposed to be in the finder
      … mhh its not there.
      -- reverse steps and try again.
      … mhh its still not there
      check Im at the right start, double check target position and  and try again
      … mmmh still not there

Then what I want to do is
      * take a photo and platesolve to find out where Im actually looking at this time
      * correct manually using slow mo or some more star hopping
      * hopefully get to the target, and enjoy the view.

Ive tried loading up 'all sky platesolver' which I can get to solve and give me location RA and DEC, but then I cant see how to get that location just to show on a star map.
      Also I cant get any images to show on the screen from allskyplatesolver (although it says it should - image get not-found type error)
      I don't really care what star map I use. I don't really want to start copying and pasting ra and dec into scripts at 3am.
      The details of the platesolving apps seem to be mainly focussed on driving a mount to a location, whereas I just want to confirm where I've ended up pointing on a map so I can do the correction myself.

Any help please ?

PS - I  might be trying to do this at 3am in a grassy field with the laptop balanced on an upturned crate whilst doing this ?

• By Demonperformer
      I am starting to get to grips with some of the features on Sharpcap and last time out I tried to use the focussing assistant using a bahtinov mask.
      The first thing I noticed is how sensitive it is. The attached screenprint involved the tiniest movements of the fine focusser knob on my Star71, which caused it to sweep from +1 to -1 without stopping in the middle. I decided I wasn't going to do any better than that (but could probably waste an awful lot of clear-sky-time trying!), so decided to accept that. After all, from what I have read, an FWHM of about 1 is reasonable.
      But now comes my confusion. I was assuming that the scale was FWHM units. But, as can be seen from the screenprint of the log, the FWHM of each individual sub was just under 4. I realise it would not necessarily be the exact same figure as when I was focussing, but 4x that figure? This would seem to suggest that either the scale on the focussing assistant is not FWHM units (so what is it?), or my focussing went way out during my imaging session. The resultant image can be seen here.
      So, are these the sort of results I should be expecting? Or where am I going wrong?
      Thanks.

• By Demonperformer
      Outside there is something coming out of the sky that strongly resembles the Atlantic Ocean being poured through a seive, so I thought I would give the 'sensor analysis' option in sharpcap a go on one of my cameras. This resulted in the table attached.
      I'm sure all the figures are great, but as to helping me decide which gain setting I should use for this camera, I am not a lot wiser. There definitely seems to be something strange (impressive?) happening to the read noise between 60 & 61, but it continues to decline after that so I'm not sure that gets me very far.
      So, it's time to get educated ... (1) which is my best option, and (2) why?
      Thanks.
      224 sensor analysis.txt
    • By Yogesh
      Hi
      I have recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MC-S webcam from FLO. I wanted to try it the other night so I decided to get some test images for the moon. I was using Sharpcap for this. I manged to get the video and was using Autostakkert to stack it. On the final stacked image I can see that there are some strange vertical lines.  I have attached a picture of that. There is also a zoomed in image of a region and I can see some small squares almost resembling the pixels on the sensor. Below are my capture settings as given by SharpCap.
      [ZWO ASI120MC-S] Debayer Preview=On Pan=0 Tilt=0 Output Format=AVI files (*.avi) Binning=1 Capture Area=1280x960 Colour Space=RAW8 Temperature=19.2 High Speed Mode=Off Overclock=0 Turbo USB=86(Auto) Flip=Both Frame Rate Limit=60 fps Gain=50(Auto) Exposure=0.001993 Timestamp Frames=Off White Bal (B)=95 White Bal (R)=52 Brightness=0 Auto Exp Max Gain=50 Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000 Auto Exp Target Brightness=100 Mono Bin=Off Apply Flat=None Subtract Dark=None #Black Point Display Black Point=0 #MidTone Point Display MidTone Point=0.5 #White Point Display White Point=1 TimeStamp=2018-06-25T23:13:22.6772909Z SharpCapVersion=3.1.5214.0 For Autostakkert (v2.6.8 ) I was not doing anything fancy. Pressed analyze and then used 50% of the frames to stack. Used 200 as the AP size. Also, had the drizzle as 1.5x
      My camera was mounted to a skywatcher 200pds  and HEQ5 mount.
      I am failing to understand what is going wrong here. Is the camera a problem or stacking is an issue ? Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Thanks and Regards,
      Yogesh
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15.tif
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15_ZOOM.tif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.