Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrosystems 24"/Ostahowski mirror

Thank you, Gerry. :)

At the moment the beauty is the living room, kind of asking me when are we going outside? :D 

I can see a bit of wiring on your new 24". Apart from the 4 fans, sky commander, and secondary heater (?), what else will require power? Also, have you nailed down the options about the ladder? 

That is the Sky commander wiring- I need to see what other dob members use to hold the commander box, I can see that ground level mounting might be best- does it ever work good! and simple, just what I need lol!:grin:

I have 4 batteries in the mirror box for lots of power, so far no dew heater, just 4 fans and the Commander. Randy gave me a charger, 12v accsy plug, all cables etc. Som,e say nexus is better but I'm satisfied with the Sky Commander.

Will you put encoders on your scope Piero?

• Like 1

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

By the way, if one does not know the size of the 15", looking at the two telescopes together, one might think that the 24" is actually not that big! Having my 12" F6 (which is about as long as your 15" F4.8) in front of me, oh man, I can only imagine how big that 24" is! :D It will provide you with some cracking views, I am sure! 

About the encoders, I think they can are very useful for larger apertures than my 12". I would have put them on a 24" due to the long focal length and the amount of targets that can pop up at the eyepiece.

• Like 1

As a purist I would have agreed until yesterday. I have problems finding objects such as planetary nebs that are not near constellations or bright stars. Galaxies too. I'm glad I've learned the sky well and the approach I took but for me now the I'm going to use the DSC and might put encoders on the 15" as well. I believe using DSC will help me learn more of the sky, we'll see.

Yes, the 24" is quite big lol!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream said:

As a purist I would have agreed until yesterday. I have problems finding objects such as planetary nebs that are not near constellations or bright stars. Galaxies too. I'm glad I've learned the sky well and the approach I took but for me now the I'm going to use the DSC and might put encoders on the 15" as well. I believe using DSC will help me learn more of the sky, we'll see.

Yes, the 24" is quite big lol!

I regularly use a tablet with a red screen on top while star hopping 

• Like 1

Just think- you could have crosshairs on that screen that move when you move the scope:grin:

My finding goes from memory, look at the map then out we go, obviously there are limitations lol! The Sky Commander might impact true dark adaptation though...

Is your red screen emitting polarized light?

1 hour ago, Piero said:

My mirror didn't come with an interferometer test as John Nichol doesn't give you one. It's a PV 1/8 guaranteed and I trust his words, particularly given the fact that I haven't found one single negative comment about his mirrors, instead only very very positive statements.

Mine didn't come with anything...and I don't care..the proof in its quality can be backed up by asking experienced observers that have used it .

Steve, Damian and Danny know a few things about what's right and what's not.

John is a craftsman and a gentleman...never heard of a dissatisfied customer. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Just think- you could have crosshairs on that screen that move when you move the scope:grin:

My finding goes from memory, look at the map then out we go, obviously there are limitations lol! The Sky Commander might impact true dark adaptation though...

Is your red screen emitting polarized light?

The red layer filter anything but red. It's quite good I have to say and better than what I used to with this tablet. 

Under darker skies than mine, one could simply add another on top (2 layers). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, estwing said:

Dont think either of your scopes would look outta place between the Dob mobs..!

Left to right..mapstars 22".Mike's 20".my 18".Steve's 20".

IMG_1961.JPG

Great scopes Calvin! Awesome shot.

Question, what do you guys use for DSC and how do you mount the "box".

4 hours ago, jetstream said:

Here is an 8' ladder for size reference, the scope is 8' 9" tall as it sits in the picture..

IMG_4506.JPG

Nice one, Gerry! :)

If it were me, I'd go for a ladder with larger steps and handrails. 

Is that the terrain where you cut off the trees and then flattened? Will you build an observatory?

• Like 1

Just in from another great obs session, what a night. The observatory will be up on the ridge, I was removing some rock with the track loader here today- there is supposed to be grass right here lol! The Catseye neb was a brilliant green just now with a little galaxy off to the side, gonna look it up.

I wrap my arm through the wrung and it seems to work- definitely tests the balance!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jetstream said:

It turns out that showy little galaxy is NGC 6552, a Seyfert 2(?) galaxy at 14.6 mag- a nice inadvertent catch.

Nice one Gerry, just reached the same conclusion on 6552. Good catch!

• Like 1

Gerry, or anyone interested - you've probably already heard of this book, but do you have the Springer book 'Faint Objects and How to Observe Them'? It's in their excellent astronomy series, there are around 23 titles I believe in total. Series I objects are for 10"-18" dobs on up, Series II targets are for 18" to 30" dobs on up, and Series III targets are for 30" dobs and up, lol, no messing around!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

It turns out that showy little galaxy is NGC 6552, a Seyfert 2(?) galaxy at 14.6 mag- a nice inadvertent catch.

That is one serious scope. 14.6 seen “inadvertently” with surrounding glow!!

Big Scope & Dark Sky. You lucky man.

Paul

• Like 2

Congrats, Gerry, to your marvellous new scope, the woodwork looks excellent, as well as the optical data.

Where do you store your scopes? fully assembled and at ambient temperature, I assume (so do I).

Beautiful location, btw. Wishing you many clear, moonless nights with this great performer!

Stephan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Congrats, Gerry, to your marvellous new scope, the woodwork looks excellent, as well as the optical data.

Where do you store your scopes? fully assembled and at ambient temperature, I assume (so do I).

Beautiful location, btw. Wishing you many clear, moonless nights with this great performer!

Stephan

Thanks Stephan, the scope is in a carport currently and is stored in a garage. It is always near ambient and the open carport offers a nice cool shade area that keeps the scope safe but cool. I've been putting the sec cage on and taking it off checking collimation repeatability- it doesn't change much at all.

I can be set up and observing in under 10 minutes.

• Like 1

What will it see down to on a decent night Gerry about 17mag. The centre star of M57 is a good one to try I have done here on a good night twice, without having to go to high power, Thing I was using around x210.

Alan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alan potts said:

What will it see down to on a decent night Gerry about 17mag. The centre star of M57 is a good one to try I have done here on a good night twice, without having to go to high power, Thing I was using around x210.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I'm going to give that a try soon and will try an ortho possibly. I have no idea how deep this scope will go- I really want to see parts of Einsteins Cross with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Alan, I'm going to give that a try soon and will try an ortho possibly. I have no idea how deep this scope will go- I really want to see parts of Einsteins Cross with it.

Ooooo!! That would be amazing. 

Beyond my 15", but I've heard of "Andromeda's Parachute" which I might just be able to detect - another potential target with your new big gun...? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, niallk said:

Ooooo!! That would be amazing. 

Beyond my 15", but I've heard of "Andromeda's Parachute" which I might just be able to detect - another potential target with your new big gun...? ;)

Thanks Niall, I'll try it out- these objects and stars themselves I find difficult and the Sky Commander was bought in part to help me find them.

Great recommendation!

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 16:54, jetstream said:

The debate over smoothness can rage on among some, but for me it is an absolute requirement that the mirror is smooth- AFTER COATING as well as (obviously) before.

Totally agree Gerry. Smooth figure on the mirror with no zones 

• Like 1