SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC6888 Crescent Nebula with Tal200k

don4l

This is the Crescent Nebula taken with my Tal200k.

I don't normally image at 2000mm f/l because of problems with tracking, guiding and other issues.   Some nights, I wouldn't even find my target at all!! When I did find the target, I would have to lose about 50% of the subs.

I recently tried out my Tal and discovered that things have really improved over the last year.  Platesolving, proper polar alignment, balancing the scope and a move to INDI have all made a huge difference.

This image was taken between 15th and 21st June. 

Equipment:  Tal200K F10,  EQ6 Pro,  STL6303

Software,  CCDCiel, PHD2, CdC, CCDStack, Gimp

Exposure:  Ha 186m, OIII 154m (2x2), G 36,  B 32m

CresOIIIjpgb.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2019 at 07:08, MarsG76 said:

Awesome image and detail.... do you use a OAG for autoguiding?

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry about the delay in replying.  I've been away on holiday!

The Tal doesn't have much back focus, so I am using a Skywatcher ED80 with a ZWO 120mc mounted side by side with the Tal.  This is far from ideal (weight and balance issues), and I hope to get a smaller guide scope at some point. 

I used to use the on-board guiding CCD chip on my SBIG camera.  This gave trouble free guiding, but I was often very limited by the need to find a suitable guide star.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2019 at 06:40, alan potts said:

Really lovely shot, I was thinking of trying this myself but at 805mm I feel it may well be rather lost in frame.

Alan

Thank you!

It should be fine at 805mm. 

Sometimes, if conditions are not great, I just do test shots with the Ha filter binned 2 x 2.  Usually, a 60s or 120s exposure will give an idea of scale and brightness.  It might be worth a try....