Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade backpack/rucksack...

As per a request from @Greymouser/Dave.

About two weeks ago, I purchased this Meade backpack/rucksack --->1411863003_ETXbackpack.jpg.abaa4abbe8874f8a0a8bbc125b3ccdaf.jpg ...from OpticalSystems. They are an online astronomy dealer/reseller based in north-west Germany. I have included links at the end. 

My reason for the purchase is for when I want to take my 're-modded' ETX105 and a few accessories away from home and travel lightweight; i.e. aeroplane cabin friendly/carry-on and relying on public transport, (bus, coach, train, etc); where an heavy duty storage case may get mishandled whilst in transit from A to Z.

It is ideal for smaller telescopes or binoculars, though originally made for the Meade ETX range of telescopes, [90/105/125]. It can be used on similar sized aperture telescopes upto the Celestron C5/SCT, (I would think), Coronado PST's using original foam, 80mm APO's or even Giant Binoculars, and/or the Meade ETX70 & ETX80, or maybe a DSLR body, (or two), and a few lenses and acceessories. It is a robust protective bag with padded sides and internal straps to hold your instrument safely. Internal dimensions/size are: 24cm x 47.5cm x 20cm. Padded sides is approximately 12.5mm. 

The blue panel is a zipped pocket with a few internal mesh material pockets for eyepieces, filters, etc. All zips have dual-zip pullers so no fear of anything falling out, (hopefully!) and hook/loop fastening in the main section to secure your OTA and a thick padded cushion/pillow thingy with a cutout for a finderscope/RDF to protect it all whilst it is being transported.

This backpack/rucksack will not fit the new style Meade ETX125 Observer's Edition, due to the telescope's redesigned, more lengthy fork arms, although the ETX90 Observer's Edition is fine. It was packed in a suitable sized cardboard box and balls of screwed up brown paper for the packing, (none of those pesky polystyrene chips that you find months later and then explaining what you have ordered to the other half).  

The total price paid including P&P was very good value at: £12.78GBP / €9.99 EUR + €3.90 EUR P&P, (the cheapest option and the one which I opted for). It also included a tracking number so I was able to track its whereabouts across Europe and UK for a few days before it was delivered to my home address. 

Link here: --->https://www.optical-systems.com/index.php?lang=0&cl=search&searchparam=rucksack&_ga=2.132922765.26336638.1560505037-94374166.1560505037

...and here: --->https://www.optical-systems.co.uk/en/Meade-Rucksack-ETX-90-105-125.html?listtype=search&searchparam=rucksack

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Greymouser said:

I know it is a bit cheeky, but could you upload a quick photo of the interior please? Though at that price it is hard not to be tempted to go for it... :smiley:

It is not being a bit cheeky. I have the leaflet that came with it showing four different images. I will do it tomorrow or the day after. :icon_salut:

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

On 23/06/2019 at 19:23, Greymouser said:

I know it is a bit cheeky, but could you upload a quick photo of the interior please? Though at that price it is hard not to be tempted to go for it... :smiley:

On 23/06/2019 at 19:30, Philip R said:

It is not being a bit cheeky. I have the leaflet that came with it showing four different images. I will do it tomorrow or the day after. :icon_salut:

As per a further request...

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.400e91e919a5402f14b24b7fc48e1319.JPG

I forgot to mention in my review, that the shoulder straps are padded and adjustable and there is elastic/bungee cord on the blue pocket panel and base, (I presume for carrying a camera/video tripod).

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that.

Mmmm, the padding doesn't look that thick in that image, is it of a decent thickness or not? Perhaps I am being too picky for a backpack which will cost just 9.99 Euro!

Edit: Doh! Of course the sides are 12.5mm thick, you said...

Edited by Greymouser
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Thanks for that.

Mmmm, the padding doesn't look that thick in that image, is it of a decent thickness or not? Perhaps I am being too picky for a backpack which will cost just 9.99 Euro!

Appears to feel of a decent thickness. I think it should be able to withstand bumps and knocks. The padded cushion/pillow thingy, (with cutout), as shown in #2 / #3 / #4 is approximately 50mm thick. 

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Philip,

I have an ETX90EC that, like you,  I use on holiday trips.  This looks much better than my current cobbled together arrangement of holdall and foam.

Item ordered, great price.

John

• Like 1

I too ordered this last Monday, too hard to resist at that price! Dispatched Tuesday, Arrived Thursday! What more can you ask? Great delivery of a very good backpack, thank you again @Philip R for the heads up. I will add a few photos to give a better idea of scale, if you don't mind...

Loads of space with my C5 in it, should be able to add in the AZ Gti mount, when I can finally persuade my wife to buy it for me! Then with the padded top protection, which is indeed about 50mm thick and very good. Then the bungee on the base of the pack.

1372339842_30.6.19001-Copy.thumb.JPG.253299c7fc8ef38b175ce7c9325e206b.JPG1908997438_30.6.19002-Copy.thumb.JPG.39558ed4ce769f8e987e735634634d4a.JPG237009889_30.6.19005-Copy.thumb.JPG.1ef6af89b58cf50cb0efbd7297d956e8.JPG

745007863_30.6.19003-Copy.thumb.JPG.77759dc5ab48a2682edf06315230be3a.JPG1043853790_30.6.19006-Copy.thumb.JPG.6474a8a22300e9cc100ed924a1865701.JPG

These last two are the outer pocket for the bits and pieces etc; then the fact that a ST102 fits in as well! though it has to be said that it is quite a tight fit! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have just noticed that the removable padded insert has a zip for removing the cover for when it gets a bit dirty & grimey and you want to toss it in with your 'smalls' when you do your laundry/wash. No washing instructions/guidelines though!