Narrowband

Lukehurst-Nichol classic dobsonian modifications

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

The 60mm really packs a punch, and RACI means I don’t have to do mental gymnastics with a star chart (usually Interstellarum). My telrad is really a glorified red-dot the way I use it; I rarely use the circle diameters ️ for anything.

Using the TV60 for a finder would be incredible!!

Thank you, Paul. That was my thought about a 60mm. It's a noticeable jump in aperture vs a 50mm. 

In my opinion, the TV60 as a finder is not ideal because a) too heavy, b) too slow, and most importantly c) almost impossible alignment to the other scope.The last point could be solved by installing rings. Still the tube has a conic shape that doesn't help at all. Not casually the "is" version has a cilindric tube. 

I would also want to have a finder with the Tak 100 but this installed on the other arm of the AYO2, to avoid making the focuser side of the Tak too heavy. A finder would help when using 42 Deg AFOV EPs with this scope. Finally, I have too many scopes, and the TV60 hasn't been used at all in the last 2 years. So, I'm thinking about selling a few things... A 10x60 finder with changeable eyepieces could replace the TV60 as wide field grab and go telescope. Having larger scopes now, observing at high power with a wide field telescope is no longer necessary. If I fix a finder bracket to a dovetail, I could attach this finder on the other arm of the AYO2, getting a finder of the Tak-100. Finally, it could also be reused as a finder for the Dobson. This move would resize my equipment and allow me to make a better use out of it.

1 hour ago, niallk said:

Great stuff Piero - nice to hear tracking targets at high power was easy and the structure felt stiff.  This makes the world of difference at the EP in use - something i really found with my 15" vs my 250px.  Enjoy revisiting everything - those globs really pop with increased aperture!

It does indeed. Your case matches mine: 12" dob vs skywatcher 8" dob. The latter is a good dob and a great bargain but few changes to the mount can make it much better. 

1 hour ago, niallk said:

+ I also really like the natural wood finish look ;)

Yes, wood has a beautiful colour. It matches the UNI19 too. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piero said:

Thank you, Paul. That was my thought about a 60mm. It's a noticeable jump in aperture vs a 50mm. 

In my opinion, the TV60 as a finder is not ideal because a) too heavy, b) too slow, and most importantly c) almost impossible alignment to the other scope.The last point could be solved by installing rings. Still the tube has a conic shape that doesn't help at all. Not casually the "is" version has a cilindric tube. 

I would also want to have a finder with the Tak 100 but this installed on the other arm of the AYO2, to avoid making the focuser side of the Tak too heavy. A finder would help when using 42 Deg AFOV EPs with this scope. Finally, I have too many scopes, and the TV60 hasn't been used at all in the last 2 years. So, I'm thinking about selling a few things... A 10x60 finder with changeable eyepieces could replace the TV60 as wide field grab and go telescope. Having larger scopes now, observing at high power with a wide field telescope is no longer necessary. If I fix a finder bracket to a dovetail, I could attach this finder on the other arm of the AYO2, getting a finder of the Tak-100. Finally, it could also be reused as a finder for the Dobson. This move would resize my equipment and allow me to make a better use out of it.

With regards to the finder scope, @Mark at Beaufort has this one and recommended it to me. I’ve not invested in one myself yet but could be a good option. 

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-80mm-maxi-finder-finder-scope-package.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to have the Telescope Express version of that 80mm finder. It was OK. However it is a lot bigger and heavier than a 50mm one. I prefered the optics in the Antares 80mm finder but that’s a hard one to find nowadays.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Piero said:

... A 10x60 finder with changeable eyepieces could replace the TV60 as wide field grab and go telescope. 

Ah, that’s the Versascope out of your shortlist then because it has a 0.965mm eyepiece so not really interchangeable unless you start investing in a different barrel size! 

I believe the Maxifinder that @Littleguy80 has referenced takes 1.25” eyepieces though, so 👍. And it’s 80mm! 😃

• Thanks 1

I have been thinking about the APM 60mm RACI finderscope, actually. I can see that there is a possibly identical TS and Altair version of it too. 

80mm is more than what I want, due to the restricted fov and extra weight. The dobson can accommodate 1 kg on the UTA without causing balancing issues. This was something I asked David as I was not sure about 'future changes' (e.g. finder or heavier eyepieces than my current ones).

5 minutes ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

I use a 10x60 ts optics raci and love it so versatile .

Yes, exactly what I was thinking of. The APM version is black, which would be a better match with the current colours of the telescope. :)

Can I ask you how much travel the focuser accepts, please? 1cm?

On 30/06/2019 at 10:09, FenlandPaul said:

Ah, that’s the Versascope out of your shortlist then because it has a 0.965mm eyepiece so not really interchangeable unless you start investing in a different barrel size! 

Sorry everyone I realised my comment about 0.965” eyepieces in the Versascope is wrong. It takes 1.25” eyepieces.

You just can’t get the staff nowadays, can you? 🙄

10 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Sorry everyone I realised my comment about 0.965” eyepieces in the Versascope is wrong. It takes 1.25” eyepieces.

You just can’t get the staff nowadays, can you? 🙄

Thanks, Paul.

Actually, you can find 0.965" eyepieces on eBay, and there are quite a few expensive second hand ones by Zeiss in the APM website. 

I modified my Nikon zoom to work in both 0.965" and 1.25" modes. For the former, I got an adapter from China. 2 or 3 pounds including shipping cost... Crazy!

• Like 1

Last Friday I had my second session with this telescope from 11.30PM to 3.30AM, mostly at low/medium power.

This time, batteries were installed in the telrad and finding targets with this device, and then star-hopping with the tablet+RACI finder was really easy. Many targets were seen: Veil nebula, NGC6940, NGC6830, M27, M71, NGC6802, Emerald planetary nebula - NGC6572, IC4665, M14, NGC6366, Wild Duck cluster, M15, M81, M82, M51, Gamma And, and a few others targets met during star hopping.

Here a few photos of the telescope just before starting off the session.

IMG_20190705_230134.thumb.jpg.b083de4e5942b101c0abb33fff47d03c.jpgIMG_20190705_230121.thumb.jpg.b7d24d3583fa86c12b1fc896fa994926.jpgIMG_20190705_230106.thumb.jpg.09da58389c39bb85599bb80454ac9607.jpgIMG_20190705_230055.thumb.jpg.c23fe56fb6f2c8f20abd9f065604e4d5.jpgIMG_20190705_230047.thumb.jpg.e878bf9f71c247f13272aab7abfe690d.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Last Friday I had my second session with this telescope from 11.30PM to 3.30AM, mostly at low/medium power.

This time, batteries were installed in the telrad and finding targets with this device, and then star-hopping with the tablet+RACI finder was really easy. Many targets were seen: Veil nebula, NGC6940, NGC6830, M27, M71, NGC6802, Emerald planetary nebula - NGC6572, IC4665, M14, NGC6366, Wild Duck cluster, M15, M81, M82, M51, Gamma And, and a few others targets met during star hopping.

Congratulations @Piero!

• Thanks 1

On 30/06/2019 at 09:48, Littleguy80 said:

With regards to the finder scope, @Mark at Beaufort has this one and recommended it to me. I’ve not invested in one myself yet but could be a good option. 

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-80mm-maxi-finder-finder-scope-package.html

Sorry I have been away and only just picked up this post. Yes I have this 80mm finderscope and it is excellent on my 12" Dob. It weighs just over 1.2 kgs and I can use various EPs in addition to the provided 23mm.

Although I still have a 9x50 finderscope which I use on my 6" Newt this larger finderscope makes finding DSOs so much easier.

...and the ladder arrived today! 

1st step for 70+ Deg altitude standing up, and 2nd / 3rd step for very low altitudes sitting. 

It feels very safe on it.

IMG_20190707_161754.thumb.jpg.dcec550c4cb636abaf91c3f44d2fe6b7.jpg

IMG_20190707_161724.thumb.jpg.2aa34a84f2b67b14e5d3ff272d8788da.jpg

• Like 4

On 09/07/2019 at 20:24, niallk said:

Looking the biz - that step ladder is the job!

Thanks, Niall :)

the third step are also perfect for my girlfriend's twins nephews. One seems quite interested in astronomy. :)

It is a very comfortable and solid ladder, no wobbly at all. Plus it can be reused at home.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

Last night I had a quick (well almost 2h!) session with the dobson. Taking the telescope outside and mounting it took just less than 10 minutes. All Good! :) 

Observed Jupiter, Lyra constellation, and the border of the Moon showing a little of detail (as it is almost full). 

The new ladder works as expected. I could sit while observing Jupiter, and use the first step when observing the Lyra's doubles and M57.  

Here are a few photos! 

IMG_20190715_195057.thumb.jpg.56612a95012b9efb6d2a5c857fbc0671.jpg IMG-20190715-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.f41f3206b274369d9abb3ee033bcb354.jpegIMG_20190715_215828.thumb.jpg.e3c54b0e78a1f05e4b2551890747c024.jpgIMG_20190715_215843.thumb.jpg.faee1feddfba0a007e9e9dc9decd8eb9.jpg

And this morning the lovely dob woke up with some sunshine :) 

IMG_20190716_073007.thumb.jpg.b71200ad4b2fc562f0d685b62e0421fb.jpg

Edited by Piero
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, John said:

"Astro corner" - I have a couple of those around the house :grin:

Lovely setup Piero - looks super in that "natural wood" finish :thumbright:

Yup! That's my "astro corner" :) only one here though! 

I also love natural wood finish on dobsonians. Dunno why, but it marries nicely with the simplicity of the Dobson design. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John said:

"Astro corner" - I have a couple of those around the house :grin:

Lovely setup Piero - looks super in that "natural wood" finish :thumbright:

Just a couple?! I try to keep mine restricted to my study and shed, but work has to take priority in the study so it often spills over, which rarely goes down well.

@Pieroglad you had a good session; it was wonderfully clear through the night. I was hoping for a repeat tonight but looking unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1