Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

acr_astro

Natural charcoal sketch of the summer H alpha sun

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

today at 30°C, I had a look to the H alpha sun the first time in summer this year. Here's the natural charcoal sketch of it:

20190623_Charcoal_Sun_H_alpha_small.JPG.28c69d6c4005dd28952682443d297021.JPG

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: June 23rd, 2019 / 1200-1230 CEST
Technique: natural vine charcoal on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
Size: 24x31cm 

Enjoy the summer with clear (and sunny) skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 11

That's a very tricky thing to do!  Looks like you nailed it! Great sketch

A figure of speech ‘you have to be joking’ a work of art is what it is. Like a photo negative from back in the 35mm era. Well done.

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your great feedback!

14 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Like a photo negative from back in the 35mm era. Well done.

Inspired by Marvin's comment, I created the negative of my sketch to see how it would have appeared as black and white photo in the old days:

Negative_01.JPG.13d2cc344443da1e1f548f82a1ec0086.JPG

This reminds me to my chalk sketches of the full moon.  Frankly, I prefer the negative charcoal version of the solar sketch. But it was a nice experiment at the PC. Thanks for heads up.👍

Clear (and sunny) skies!

Achim

• Like 2

Original and negative, both are excellent!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      as usual, I couldn't resist to create yet another charcoal sketch of the H alpha sun. It is relaxing for me to observe the proms and filaments and to try to catch them "as they are" on the paper. At first glance, the sun looks pretty similar - just at second glance and comparison with my other sketches, I have seen that it looks similar but always a bit different. The disc and the prominences are done with natural charcoal, just for the filaments, I needed a Koh-i-Noor artificial charcoal pen since it's darker.

Date & Time: July 1st, 2019 / 1015-1045 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal and Koh-i-Nor charcoal pen on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      today morning I had a look at the GONG network images on the internet and set up my telescope to have a look at that awesome large prominence on the southeastern limb of our home star. First I concentrated on a sketch of just that wonderful prominence. After that, I created - as usual - a sketch of the full solar disc. I noticed that the prominence already had changed during my sketching time.

Eyepiece: TS HR Planetary 7mm
      Date & Time: June 28th, 2019 / 1045-1145 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      these days we have a sunny and hot summer over here. Today I tried to capture the "aura" of the sun caused by some dust in our atmosphere when doing the pastel sketch of the H alpha solar disc. I spent almost half an hour with the solar disc and its aura and then just 15 minutes for the proms and filaments. So here's the result:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Date & Time: June 26th, 2019 /1030-1115 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on black Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.