SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A question about m77

vemarstar

Hi

Had a good night observing last night , i was i think able to locate M74 got into the correct place [pices] and i noticed a very faint smudge in the fov i guess was that the galaxy?.

Whilst i was in the mood i decided to try and locate M77 again got to the correct part of sky [cetus] , in the fov i noticed an out of focused star or two would that be M77 ?.

Answere or advice would be apreciated

From

Ian

Sounds like it. It's has quite a bright core with a fuzzy halo - which might appear as an out of focus star. It's a little below two brightish stars.

Thanks for the reply, what is the best magnification for M77 ?

I set myself a challenge and M74 , M77, are certainly that.

Certainly with M74! M77 is a bit easier to find and certainly stands out more than M74. Here a challenge for you, have a look just under the two stars above M77 and there's a longish galaxy that's about as hard to see as M74, called NGC 1055. I used a 32mm eyepiece in a 16" Lightbridge.

Sam

M77 is difficult to image - the outer arms of it at any rate (I've tried!) Being a Seyfert galaxy (i.e. a close-up quasar) I imagine that visually the core would look rather stellar. As for the outer parts - I doubt if you'd have a prayer...

Certainly with M74! M77 is a bit easier to find and certainly stands out more than M74. Here a challenge for you, have a look just under the two stars above M77 and there's a longish galaxy that's about as hard to see as M74, called NGC 1055. I used a 32mm eyepiece in a 16" Lightbridge.

Sam

Thanks sam next clear night i will try and locate NGC 1055 so far the sky has been no good either cloud or fog.

Archived