Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI 224MC Versus Altair Astro GPcam v2 (IMX224)

Portech7

Hi All

Apart from the ZWO being USB 3 and the Altair being USB 2, is there any major spec difference or user experience differences? 

Prices seen:

ZWO ASI224MC Colour : £249 (Includes wide angle lens for meteor showers)

Altair Astro GPCAM V2 Colour (IMX224): £189 (Full Package, includes the wide angle lens for meteor showers etc)

Reason I ask is that I was originally working to a budget of £100-£150, but i've been a tad lucky and can stretch to a better spec camera than the ZWO ASI 120MC I was heading for. The ZWO is £60 dearer than the Altair and I'm wondering if its worth the extra or not.

23 minutes ago, Portech7 said:

Hi All

Apart from the ZWO being USB 3 and the Altair being USB 2, is there any major spec difference or user experience differences? 

Prices seen:

ZWO ASI224MC Colour : £249 (Includes wide angle lens for meteor showers)

Altair Astro GPCAM V2 Colour (IMX224): £189 (Full Package, includes the wide angle lens for meteor showers etc)

Reason I ask is that I was originally working to a budget of £100-£150, but i've been a tad lucky and can stretch to a better spec camera than the ZWO ASI 120MC I was heading for. The ZWO is £60 dearer than the Altair and I'm wondering if its worth the extra or not.

A USB 3 camera will give superior frame rates for solar system imaging in comparison to a USB 2 camera. There is also a GPCAM 3 that uses USB 3.

Go USB 3 if you can, you can get a ASI120mm with USB 3 within your budget I would get that over the USB 2 camera despite the better sensor.

https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-GPCAM3-224C-Color-Guide-Astronomy-Imaging-Camera.html

The GPCAM3 225C is a little cheaper than the ASI equivalent. Either way go USB 3 over USB 2 frame rate will help you more.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael, Adam, very useful guidance and user experience which vastly helps. I wasn't sure how much superior the USB 3 is over USB 2, but sounds like it is worth the extra. 

Cheers Both 😀