Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Auckland

matthew12098

Hello from Auckland, NZ!

I am relatively new to astronomy, buying my first telescope in November 2018. I am especially intreseted in the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter + it's moons!

I currently have a Skywatcher 114/900 EQ1 Telescope, with a 6mm lens (150x), 10mm (90x) lens, 25mm (36x) lens and a Barlow Lens. 

I am open to trying new lens and ideas related with astronomy, and currently am attempting to build a phone adapter to take higher quality images with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+)

I'm excited to learn more from this forum!

Kind Regards,

Matthew

• Like 1

Hi, Matthew, and welcome to SGL.

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but can I suggest that, if you are serious about wanting to take images, a better (more stable) mount should be a higher priority than a new eyepiece?

Enjoy the journey.

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Matthew, and welcome to SGL.

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but can I suggest that, if you are serious about wanting to take images, a better (more stable) mount should be a higher priority than a new eyepiece?

Enjoy the journey.

Sweet thanks, any reccomendations on what mounts? I need one that can adapt to a dual camera phone, because all the phones in my househound have dual cameras. 

Also, where can I share my photos of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn?

The thing about mounts is that they are an investment in the future, so the rule of thumb becomes "the best one you can afford" - not very helpful possibly. I would suggest that, as a bare minimum you should be looking at an EQ3-2 with at least RA drive, preferrably dual-drive. And EQ5 would be even better.

There is a "planetary imaging" forum, and also a "getting started with imaging" forum for posting your pics. Whatever the quality, they are worth posting ... everyone on here is interested in helping you improve rather than criticising, and there is a wealth of expertise here to achieve that goal.