Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon filter

Hey guys, whats a good moongfilter are they all the same? On amazon theres a 8 and 12 pound one will any kind do the job? I know some are 13% and more etc but i dont really know how high a percentage is needed lol

All depends on if you need a filter to darken the view at all. Some people use them but others like myself have never found the need for one. You might consider trying a variable polarising filter as you can then adjust the brightness to the exact amount needed.

However I do use the Baader Moon & Skyglow Neodymium filter as it gives the moon a nice neutral grey appearance. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, johninderby said:

[...] You might consider trying a variable polarising filter as you can then adjust the brightness to the exact amount needed. [...]

FWIW, I have a variable polarising filter and I need to be careful when using it with one of my diagonals because it fouls the mirror. These filters are approx twice the thickness of a single filter. It's still usable, but I can't afford to slide it all the way into the diagonal.

8 minutes ago, John said:

If your astro budget is a little tight currently I'd say save your £'s. I find that I don't need to filter the moon even with my 12 inch scope.

I think im light sensitive looking at the light of the moon can be really harsh at times.

When out doing school/scout group presentation with my club, I use ND96 1.25mm lunar filter

Find it brings out the features on the moon, and also do not get the harsh white light, especially when viewing towards full moon cycle

When use without the filter, and have 7-9yo's viewing the moon, their whole face lights up, when viewing through my 10" Dob

Like anything else respect filters

Try different filters also when viewing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn

Filters bring out different details

John

PS

Early next year, NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

The attached link will enable you to register to have your name included on the Mars Rover, and can also download Boarding Pass

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8440/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover/

6 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

When out doing school/scout group presentation with my club, I use ND96 1.25mm lunar filter

Find it brings out the features on the moon, and also do not get the harsh white light, especially when viewing towards full moon cycle

When use without the filter, and have 7-9yo's viewing the moon, their whole face lights up, when viewing through my 10" Dob

Like anything else respect filters

Try different filters also when viewing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn

Filters bring out different details

John

PS

Early next year, NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

The attached link will enable you to register to have your name included on the Mars Rover, and can also download Boarding Pass

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8440/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover/

And we going back to the moon i will be taking a week off for that and following every step of it lol

4 hours ago, Jazzo111 said:

I think im light sensitive looking at the light of the moon can be really harsh at times.

I understand that as i also deal with light sensitivity. I use an ND96 filter and I get some amazing views with it since I can stop squinting. Filters are a personal thing. Some like them, some dont. Also remember if you use high mag, you might be ok without the filter.

Rob

Hi @Jazzo111.

My best bet would be to purchase a variable polarising filter. FWIW - I have this type —->5addf27ccac70_variablemoonfilter.jpg.e490ce031fc7badb2a139b6d8384c995.jpg

As to what @Geoff_L said, you can always screw one filter on to the star diagonal nosepiece and the other on the eyepiece, and twist the e/p to ‘tune in’ before tightening the safety screw.

I’m also light sensitive. Anything with high contrast is really harsh to me. I use 40 watt lightbulbs at home because of this.

Lumicon ND13 (13% transmission) for low power views is the one I have somewhere. I’ve misplaced it though so I just wait until my scope is thermally equalized good and crank up the magnification on the moon to dim the view as long as the seeing supports it. Moon & Skyglow is good also. I actually prefer the Moon & Skyglow on Jupiter though. It’s Great for both Jupiter and the Moon though. It does dim the view a bit and provide better contrast.

Gotta find that filter. Just recently renewed Lunar viewing interest with my binoviewers.

Ive seen it posted a lot of times that the moon when viewable in the daytime is just as bright as at night so no filter is needed but none of the people posting that have light sensitivity issues. It’s the contrast between dark and light that brings out the sensitivity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vondragonnoggin said:

Ive seen it posted a lot of times that the moon when viewable in the daytime is just as bright as at night so no filter is needed but none of the people posting that have light sensitivity issues. It’s the contrast between dark and light that brings out the sensitivity.

How do you find the moon with binoviewers? It seems to me that viewing the same brightness with both eyes negates the issue, but I don't have a general sensitivity issue.

20 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

How do you find the moon with binoviewers? It seems to me that viewing the same brightness with both eyes negates the issue, but I don't have a general sensitivity issue.

Binoviewers are going to be dimmer because they split the light with 50% going to each eye. Still have the resolution of your full objective but now 50% the brightness. For someone as sensitive as me to light contrast, even a 72mm scope at low power on the moon with a single eyepiece like a 28mm is too bright.

If I use binoviewers on the 72mm scope it’s like a small binocular and very tolerable plus harder to get lowest power with binoviewers using a 1.8x GPC (which is what my Williams Optics BV’s have) so smaller exit pupil and still dimmer image.

If I move up to my 150ST which has a low profile adapter and linear bearing short focuser, I can use the binoviewer with a 1.25” diagonal and not have to use the GPC. Gets pretty low power with a pair of 28mm RKE’s in the BV. Still a little bright for me at that low power in the 6”.

Again though, I can put the GPC back in and go higher power on the moon and the smaller exit pupil takes care of the brightness issue.

When I've looked at the moon at low mag without a moon filter, I've occasionally had a visual migraine afterwards. I do have a moon filter now, but I have to say it's not very good optically and reduces visual detail a little. 

Chris

I rarely observe the moon at low magnifications. Using high power reduces the apparent surface brightness to comfortable levels. Having found that the finer lunar details are harder to see or not visible with a filter in place, I prefer not to use one. I do have one for outreach use though becuase I don't want newcomers to observing to feel uncomfortable and they are unlilkely to be chasing the very fine details that I'm looking for.

No matter if it’s regular no filter viewing, moon filter viewing, or binoviewer two-eyed viewing, finding a way to get into Lunar viewing is great. There are a lot of features to explore on the moon and it’s a much better option than being annoyed by the moon and not viewing while it’s up.

😀

• Like 2

The filter worked a treat guys i could see the moon without any issue and it does bring defination out i tried it on jupiter and it was nice on that too bringing out the clouds :)

Ps anyone find the weather weird? Teleacop was soaking wet last night and even tho its summer nights have been cold for me and not to dark. 

Ive never found the need to use one. Its a very personal thing and everyone has different eyesight and light level tolerances. Probably the only time a Moon filter would be useful it when the Moon is full, but this is probably the worst time for observing the Moon because it shows no contrast or shadows which help when observing craters.

There really is no need to spend much money on a Moon filter, so anything under or around 15-20 quid is fine.