Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Az-Gti dead: will not switch on!

Ceramus

My Az-Gti has ceased to function: red light does not flash when switch is turned on and wifi connection can not be found by iPhone app.

installed fresh set of new batteries but still it does not switch on. Plugged a 12volt battery eliminator and it seems to work, as light flashes and wifi connects!. Checked leads in battery holder, looks ok. Maybe a loose contact inside?  Taking mount and a Heritage 130to Argentina/Chile for eclipse and dark skies, so battery operation a must.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Can you get to the terminals with a multimeter when the batteries are installed? If so you can check the voltages at different points to find where the contact is not connecting properly.

Alternatively, how about buying a 12V LiPo battery (or several) and powering through the working power socket? Over time a rechargeable 12V battery is going to be more cost effective than continually buying new AAs.

Edited by Ricochet

41 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Can you get to the terminals with a multimeter when the batteries are installed? If so you can check the voltages at different points to find where the contact is not connecting properly.

Alternatively, how about buying a 12V LiPo battery (or several) and powering through the working power socket? Over time a rechargeable 12V battery is going to be more cost effective than continually buying new AAs.

I had the same trouble  a few years ago with a  mount, worked around it by plugging in a 12v battery pack into the working mains plug as suggested. Quick fix and chargeable. 

Thanks for the replies, I have checked terminals with voltmeter, correct voltage is there. Probably an internal fault.

Yes, short of returning the unit  the solution is probably a portable 12v, 2-5 amp charger I can take on board  in my carry on backpack. Any suggestions?

Often the positive from the battery is wired to a make/break contact on the external power socket. 

When the external power plug is inserted it breaks the power from the batteries. 

You could clean up that contact by repeated insertion of the power plug. 

Michael