Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

bish

Distilled water

Hi all,

does anybody know if the battery top up water in Halfords is distilled or de-ionised? As I understand it needs to be distilled to clean mirrors.

thanks

Thanks I will google to see if there any close by.

Posted (edited)

Yep, any marine centre will have distilled water fairly well priced, but the Halfords de-ionised water will do the job equally as well. I have used both in the past, mostly the deionised because Halfords is very nearby. Both types are purified water, slightly different process in manufacturing and result, but both run off the mirrors without leaving streaks or contaminants. 

No impact on my mirrors using de-ionised, other than being sparkly clean!

Edited by JG777
  • Like 1

The water for Marine fish is normally RO (reverse osmosis) water and is as close to pure water you can get unless you have some very expensive laboratory equipment and so I would think is ideal.

Just remember that as soon as you take the top of the container it starts to get contaminated, albeit slowly, so always keep in a closed container and not a good idea to drink it either, not that I imagine you would 😁

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. Wish me luck, I am a bit clumsy! LOL

• Haha 1

I had a similar question recently. Apparently the question of distilled vs de-ionised is controversial! You can get it off Amazon but it’s pricey. I’m sure it’s cheaper from pet store if you have one nearby.

55 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I had a similar question recently. Apparently the question of distilled vs de-ionised is controversial! You can get it off Amazon but it’s pricey. I’m sure it’s cheaper from pet store if you have one nearby.

Thanks. There are a couple of fish shops close by.

• Like 1