Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Rob Astro

Bader IR pass filter 685nm

I am looking to improve my lunar photos and was wondering if a Bader IR pass filter 685nm would help me? I use a skywatcher 200p with a ZWO ASI 120 MC camera and a Telvue x2 barlow. All on a HEQ5pro mount.  In the future Im looking to upgrade to a Celestron 9.25 and a ZWO 290mm Mono camera for lunar work.

Thanks fopr any advice.

Yes it definitely will. I find my gray scale lunar images to be much sharper and more detailed when imaging the moon through the Baader IR Pass685 filter.

Add to above.... the IR pass filter will help the you to capture the more stable wavelength of light coming through the atmosphere since near infra red is a longer wavelength and is much less effected by the atmosphere, allowing better quality signal to reach your CCD.

Posted (edited)

Thanks very much for the reply, just to be clear it will also help with a one shot colour camera?

Edited by Rob Astro
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rob Astro said:

Thanks very much for the reply, just to be clear it will also help with a one shot colour camera?

NO...I was talking about a mono CCD, in my case it the DMK21au618 and DMK41au20 CCDs... With a OSC it will severely limit the performance of the sensor since it's only using 25% of the pixels and all through the red bayer filter... I tried IRPass through my Skyris 618C and it was actually terrible.... at least worse with the filter using a color camera.

If you're using a color sensor than I'd hold off on the IRPass until you're capturing planets or the moon using a mono sensor.

Edited by MarsG76