Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

oyabuns

Polarscope issues on EQ5 pro mount

I own a polarscope from FLO for a couple of months now, however I have never been able to get a correct polar alignment.
When I screw in the polarscope in the mount completely then the 3 angle is at the top (see picture). 
However with this polaris keeps moving out of the circle when I polar align it. (Polar alignment seems not to work)
When I loosen it I can get the reticule to 0, however the polarscope is very loosely in the mount.

How to best get the polarscope correctly into the mount and get an accurate polar alignment. 

IMG_20190614_203923.jpg

IMG_20190614_205344.jpg

IMG_20190614_211541.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Clear Skies!
      I am going to buy Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Go-To mount. But, unfortunately, I am low on budget.
      So, does someone know where can I buy the cheapest EQ5 pro mount?
      Yesterday there was a low price for it (350 €), but they changed it.
      Thank you for your time!
    • By gerardsheldon
      When I look through my polarscope and rotate the RA arm, the cross hairs stay in the same place but the image itself moves.  Is this a problem? 
      I have tightened everything. 
      Can you explain why the image moves?  Is there another adjustment I need to do?
      Thank you,
      Gerard

• By dan_19991
      Hi all,
      Im living in a fairly light polluted area, and have a Skywatcher 200p on an eq5 pro mount. I've been using my phone to take pictures of varies objects with varying degrees of success ( mainly due to mounting my phone to the telescope) but ive decided id like to take imaging a little more seriously and am looking to get a DSLR with the interest of deep sky astrophotography. having said that i dont have £5k for blow on a camera and am looking to spend around the £100 mark, but dont know cameras and dont know what the best camera in my price range would be. I realize i wont be able to do too long a exposure because of my mount being unguided and it being a eq5 pro not a Heq5. any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. 
      Daniel  
    • By Errol
      Hi everyone,
      Over winter I purchased an EQ6 non GOTO mount. As it was dry today, I thought that I would have a go aligning the polar scope within the mount. It looks so easy on the eBay video's!
      On the positive side I found that the cross-hairs kept steady on a distant television aerial when I rotated the Dec axis through 180 deg. What I didn't expect to find was that the TV aerial itself swung through an arc when I rotated the dec axis!
      I took a not very good video of this rotation using my mobile,  which happened to be to hand but I think it is sufficient to see what happens. The video is below (hopefully).
      First what is happening here - anyone had this problem?
      Secondly, I took a photograph of the adjustments available to me near the polarscope. Which fasteners do I adjust? (image attached)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
      Errol
      Video of rotation problems

• By morayskies
      Hi All
      I have recently started using EQMOD to control my EQ5 Pro mount.  When I use the mount with the SynScan Hand Controller I have noticed the usual backlash in the Declination axis when reversing the direction from north to south or vice versa.  In the SynScan Setup/Backlash/Declination menu option, I find that setting this to 0deg 0' 50" (ie 50 arcseconds) compensates for the backlash when using the hand controller.  My questions are these;
      When using EQMOD and the PC Direct mode setting on the hand controller, is this Declination Backlash compensation still applied? (I suspect not) Does EQMOD have the functionality to apply similar Declination backlash compensation when using the the direction buttons in EQMOD to control the mount? I intend using EQMOD's Pulse Guiding and see that there is a Declination backlash compensation for this feature.  Please bear with me whilst I ask another couple of questions;
      I intend to use PHD2 as the guiding client.  I think that PHD2 will 'build in' backlash compensation when it performs its calibration.  If this assumption is correct, does this mean I do not need to enter any value into the Backlash compensation in the guiding area of EQMOD? Out of curiosity more than anything else, what on Earth would the value be I should enter in the EQMOD backlash compensation? On the SynScan the backlash compensation is entered as an angular measurement (ie 50 arcsecnds) but in EQMOD guiding it seems to be entered as a time value (ie between 0 and 2000 milliseconds ) Anyway, thanks for looking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.