Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking of buying these 200 Dobs

Which should I buy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I buy?

• Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian ( £275 )
    • Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube GOTO ( £749 )
    • Other

I'd go for the solid tube Skyliner 200. In fact I've owned one and the 250PX as well. Both excellent scopes. I'd also buy a great star atlas and Skysafari for my mobile plus a Telrad finder to help find things then I'd get on with learning how to find things in the sky with £400 still in my bank account for other exciting extras in due course :smiley:

• Like 1

I too have a 250px solid tube manual dob.

Great scope!!

I too was considering an 8" dob as my first scope.  I was looking at the Orion.  Wolfi at TS helpfully suggested that i could go for a SW 10" for about the same price - and im glad i did as DSOs were prime targets for me.

If you are considering the cost+weight of motors, perhaps consider increased aperture instead.

So I'd suggest considering 'Other': the Bresser 10" ... primarily because of the alt bearings.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-dobson-telescope-n-254-1270-messier-hexafoc-dob/p,52181

On 20/06/2019 at 20:59, niallk said:

I too have a 250px solid tube manual dob.

Great scope!!

I too was considering an 8" dob as my first scope.  I was looking at the Orion.  Wolfi at TS helpfully suggested that i could go for a SW 10" for about the same price - and im glad i did as DSOs were prime targets for me.

If you are considering the cost+weight of motors, perhaps consider increased aperture instead.

So I'd suggest considering 'Other': the Bresser 10" ... primarily because of the alt bearings.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-dobson-telescope-n-254-1270-messier-hexafoc-dob/p,52181

oh well, you are making me scratch my head for the 10 inch dobs, although not sure about their portability and ease of transport. The bresser base looks more fancy, but not worth the price difference compared to SW 10 Dob, imo.

The Bresser has a better build quality overall with a much better focuser and doesn’t need the improvements the SW really needs to perform properly. The alt bearings on the Bresser aren’t just “fancy” looking but work so much better than the SW ones. Once you’ve owned a few dobs you realise good bearings are the key to good performance. Optically they are about the same. I don’t know of anyone who has bought the Bresser who has regretted spending the extra.

The one advantage of the SW is that it is cheaper initially  and you can upgrade it one bit at a time. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound negative, especially given the wealth of advice from such experienced users on here, but there is a significant increase in "bulk" when considering a 250 solid tube compared to a 200.

I owned a GSO 250 (solid tube) which was a great scope, but significantly bigger and harder to manhandle off the base than my 200PDS dob.

It all depends on how much it will be moved, how regularly, and how strong you are.  I'm a decrepit pensioner with the all too common back problems so I admit I'm biased.  When I had the 250 I had to occasionally move it down a flight of stairs and it was quite an undertaking.

The flextubes start to make sense in the 250 to 300 and above range, because although they are slightly heavier, they are more easily stored and manhandled bulk-wise.

Ahh, variety, the spice of life,        and the pain of decision making.......  😀

• Like 1

Yes agree .when I was looking for a dob I found that the 200p was easier for as I'm  retired and didn't want to be struggling to move the scope .I'm glad I did as I can manage it still.and hope to for many years to come.you will mot be disappointed with a 200p.20190619_161527.thumb.jpg.53e609ae45a82fa5a1c2baf3bb46f111.jpg20190619_161626.thumb.jpg.e0fbfdcf3d948f51d628a107603e05f2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Yes agree .when I was looking for a dob I found that the 200p was easier for as I'm  retired and didn't want to be struggling to move the scope .I'm glad I did as I can manage it still.and hope to for many years to come.you will mot be disappointed with a 200p.20190619_161527.thumb.jpg.53e609ae45a82fa5a1c2baf3bb46f111.jpg20190619_161626.thumb.jpg.e0fbfdcf3d948f51d628a107603e05f2.jpg

These images require an explanation :D

How much of it is after market add on? I can identify couple of things, but slow motion controls and maybe "suspension" system are quite intriguing.

I've also fitted RACI (50mm one, not 60), replaced EP receptacle (compression ring 2"/1.25" low profile) and added Lacerta microfocuser. I find other mods quite interesting, how did you do that?

Mods are.:60x10 raci ts optics finderscope. Lacerta dual focuser. 2x 130mm machine handwheels.8 hole eyepiece holder (made by me).lazy susan.Slow Motion controls made by me.it's not difficult to do.I would suggest that yo watch a youtube video called zlomotion dobsonion. .I made mine after watching that.only mines a little different and alt control on mines much more stable.very smooth.I cannot stress how much it improves the dob.when tracking or following. It doesn't have the unstable feel as it used to before I modded it.I also sit it on a water butt base it lifts the focuser to eye level not so much back ache. See picture below. It's an old picture.

Regards 

Paul. 

20181024_200405.jpg

Edited by fiestazetecmk2
Picture
  • Like 2

FWIW I also found a water butt base (which are not much to buy) lifted my 200P Flextube to a nice height to use, but I reckon there are water butt bases and water butt bases, as I found mine produced sufficient flex in it's plastic construction to be noticeable when using the scope - I always felt as though it could have done with filling with concrete, but then it would need to be in a fairly permanent position as I doubt you'd easily move it.

59 minutes ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

If yours is flexing try filling with expanding foam.that should improve it and not flex.

I hadn't thought of that, certainly worth trying - thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

An update:

I think I have been hit by aperture fever! Thanks to some of the comments here, I have changed my mind to the 10 inch dob and have stretched my budget xD I'm seriously thinking of buying the 250px SW Goto now, I've settled on the decision of buying a GoTo at some-point , tracking of objects is something I'm keen on, so I guess I should get it on the 10 inch I'm planning to buy.

What do you think? Am I going crazy? is it worth the price or should I wait for a better time to buy? I appreciate your criticism and honest opinion.

On 24/06/2019 at 11:15, fiestazetecmk2 said:

That is  great looking set up.

As an avid reader, I also think your library is none too shabby also👍