Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone actually regretted building a home observatory?

MakeItSo

a run-off dome would be the ticket for me! 

I converted my POD into a ROR dome, though it is a real PITA to get back on again as I discovered my base wasn't precisely circular (and too late to do anything about it now).  So the dome wants to "ping back into circular shape" which makes it really difficult to clamp it back on again in the dark in the middle of the night - when I am half asleep and don't want to wake the neighbours when I want to shut it.  Also I can't roll it back more than about a metre so the half dome is still in the way of stuff in the E/NE, but generally not a problem as most of that area is taken up by the house being in the way anyway, which was why I planned it that way, and a lot of targets will be rising from that direction and seen eventually. 

spacer.png

The only regret you may have about building an observatory is, if you have a restricted field of view, it means you don't have the flexibility to move around the garden to get the best views of your target.

That is true too, and next door's tree has grown a lot since I put in the obsy.  So one day I decided to set up on the patio as I used to before I got the Obsy, only to find the other next door have built a loft extension since then and now I can;t see Polaris from the patio.

Grrrr!!  

Never mind I do a lot of my imaging from Astro camps as too LP at home.  even at camp I use a camping observatory as I got used to the luxury of an Obsy, it is great as a wind shield and for frost protection if I camp in the winter months. 

spacer.png

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Regrets on building an observatory? Plenty. But I am only part way through and over 6 months in on my over-ambitious build. But I know when done there will be absolutely no regrets remaining.

I spent an enormous amount of time thinking about exactly what to build, from ROR to hinged apex, to some sort of fold-down arrangement. But my place is on the top of a very exposed hill and the wind is pretty strong. I also have excellent southerly views to the horizon so wanted to take some advantage. This kind of ruled out any design with high walls and with the strong winds, went for a dome...

I also needed planning permission but in France and living in the middle of the countryside, it is more of a formality.

There is lots of good advice on SGL to help you decide what to build and where so you can get the most out of the build, so I recommend doing your homework and go for it! When done, no regrets.. Guaranteed.

Gordon.

When the wife complains, yes there is some I guess annoyance.

Regret? Not making it bigger. Although again the wife was already only just ok with the idea. And giant drawer sliders that were easily available and reasonably priced can only carry about 400lb a pair. With snow loads potential can't go too big. Now if I had gotten some industrial stuff could have used similar design and built a 10x10 :). But then a regular ROR would've been more cost effective vs 1k plus per pair of sliders.