Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone actually regretted building a home observatory?

MakeItSo

17 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

So I have found I do need to run this past my council; my house is in an area of "outstanding natural beauty" so they want to "check it out". Just as well I wasn't asking for a Dome - no way they would have gone for it. Annoying to be held up.

What size is the observatory you're planning?

James

13x9 feet. I’m getting as big as I can afford. But based on what I’ve seen this is perhaps on the larger side of average (at best). My property is also listed so it’s a perfect storm for these guys to scrutinize. 

Just now, MakeItSo said:

13x9 feet. I’m getting as big as I can afford. But based on what I’ve seen this is perhaps on the larger side of average (at best). My property is also listed so it’s a perfect storm for these guys to scrutinize. 

Ah, somewhat larger than you'd get away with in an AONB without the council showing an interest.  Let's hope they don't end up demanding that you submit a planning application.

James

Ah, listed makes a big difference. I'm in a conservation area and AONB, but not listed so normal-ish planning rules apply, the main one being all outbuildings more than 20m from the house must be less than 10 sqm. As the one I'm planning is 2.2x2.2m it scrapes in. It does, however have to be less than 2.5m high as I'm putting it near a boundary. I'm guessing that with 2 acres (Envy, envy) to play with you can put it pretty much where you want.

BTW, who are you getting to build it? I recall a thread about Home Observatories?

Home Observatory UK

The Obsy will be about 50 yards from  my house so this may be an issue - 10.8sq metres. They’ve asked I send in a pre-application enquiry. 

Edited by MakeItSo

I certainly have not regretted it.

On size, the advice is to avoid building too small.  However I would have thought 12' x 9' would be fine and meet that 10m2 requirement.  My dome is a 2.7m (8.91') diameter which I find is OK even with a fairly long refractor.  That works out at less than 5.75m2.  Even a 9'x9' shed would give 30% more space than I have and of course circular walls are not the best for desks and storage.

We were going to build a roll on roll off shed observatory but as this came up for 150 quid on eBay it were a no brainer!!
A dome can be limiting but then it does offer good wind protection to so horses for courses.

698406681_Obsypickedup05.thumb.jpg.5cc111c097a121561e1b449df0657f25.jpg

796847010_ScopesObsy.thumb.jpg.7258b8ccdd0c1d7462b71dee066ac2eb.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tich said:

We were going to build a roll on roll off shed observatory but as this came up for 150 quid on eBay it were a no brainer!!
A dome can be limiting but then it does offer good wind protection to so horses for courses.

698406681_Obsypickedup05.thumb.jpg.5cc111c097a121561e1b449df0657f25.jpg

796847010_ScopesObsy.thumb.jpg.7258b8ccdd0c1d7462b71dee066ac2eb.jpg

Looks awesome but suspect it would trigger antibodies at my local council for my place.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

Home Observatory UK

Good to hear they're still in business.

Can you redesign to bring the area below 10 sqm? Though being listed any development within the curtilage will, I think, need planning approval.

You definitely won’t regret getting an observatory - it will allow you so many more observing/imaging opportunities. For me, it had to be a dome and I’ve never regretted that choice either but I have numerous friends with ROR observatories that are just as happy as I am.

• Like 2

Talk to the relevant authorities and ask for their advice on what might be possible. Not what you only think you might get away with.
Make their lives easier with relevant images and an aerial map of your situation and to show your worst obstacles.
Have a list of "must haves" and "wants" for open negotiation. If they object ask what it is they are protecting that your project will undo?
Show flexibility where necessary but remind them gently that building has been going on for centuries before they came along. Smile!

My 3m/10' rural carbuncle offers instant gratification of every observing or imaging whim.
Dark, natural wood below and painted, silk Sage green, faceted dome to match its surroundings with minimum impact.

I used to observe and image only during transits or eclipses before I built this. I was a telescope maker rather than observer.
Now it is a rare day I don't spend hours out there. Imaging, observing, adjusting, experimenting or constantly improving.
The more time I spend out there the cheaper it gets per enjoyable hour. Finally it makes real sense to spend money on new kit.
It never did before! How many active hours do you presently get per year out of your own total investment in equipment?

Fortunately Denmark relaxed the rules over outbuildings after The Crash which nearly destroyed most trades.
I avoided the boundaries and other obvious restrictions and fortunately, have no overlooking neighbours.
Viewed from a distance looking west: The very occasional, farmer's view:

1596438424_P1350151rsz.JPG.afc16c747e34c59db8eda33bf7e63019.JPG

• Like 1

I've found the difference between carrying out everything related with just an 8" DOB and walking out, rolling the roof back, then pointing it at what ever, definitively makes it easier to walk out at the odd times of night or morning.

Had a gentleman who gave the show at a local planetarium comment, even a simple observatory is wonderful!

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

Talk to the relevant authorities and ask for their advice on what might be possible. Not what you only think you might get away with.
Make their lives easier with relevant images and an aerial map of your situation and to show your worst obstacles.
Have a list of "must haves" and "wants" for open negotiation. If they object ask what it is they are protecting that your project will undo?
Show flexibility where necessary but remind them gently that building has been going on for centuries before they came along. Smile!

Brilliant - I am currently composing my letter. I have also provide an ordinance survey plan of the property and where the Obsy will sit, photos of the location and views from the location as well as images of the proposed structure. I am stressing it is a temporary structure (it is technically; it can come down at any time if needed). 

• Like 1

There's actually a recognised definition of a "temporary building" in the interpretation of UK planning law.  Which is, a building that exists for no more than twenty-eight days.  Apparently the courts have decided that the fact that it has no proper foundations and stuff like that is irrelevant.  Even something like a marquee needs PP if it is to remain for more than 28 days.

James

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JamesF said:

There's actually a recognised definition of a "temporary building" in the interpretation of UK planning law.  Which is, a building that exists for no more than twenty-eight days.  Apparently the courts have decided that the fact that it has no proper foundations and stuff like that is irrelevant.  Even something like a marquee needs PP if it is to remain for more than 28 days.

James

Good point...I now see that. 

I have altered the wording of my letter to indicate that it can be easily 'reversed' if needed (which is true - we all know it would be annoying and laborious but it can be done. I am not planning on have a big concrete slab)

Edited by MakeItSo

39 minutes ago, andrew s said:

That's just greedy  😉

Regards Andrew 

Not when you openly share your great wealth [in observatories.] :thumbsup:

Besides, Peter has hardly dented the built up area V total landmass. :D

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

Not when you openly share your great wealth [in observatories.] :thumbsup:

Besides, Peter has hardly dented the built up area V total landmass. :D

I know it was a joke as signalled by the emoji. 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1