Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary imaging using DSLR

OJ87

Hi everyone, 

I want to try planetary imaging with my current equipments. My problem is making images out of video file: Canon makes MP4 format, which isn't supported in Registax. Is there any free mp4 to AVI converter? Or any staking program which supports mp4 files?

Would Barlow lens improve the quality of video/ end image ? I have currently 12mm, 8mm and 5mm eyepieces.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

As above, PIPP will also let you center and crop the the output file making it quicker to stack. Try the barlow too.

Alan

Thank you Alan,

I will buy them, do you know any good adapter (DSLR - telescope) for such combination (eyepiece with Barlow)?

best regards 

1 minute ago, OJ87 said:

Thank you Alan,

I will buy them, do you know any good adapter (DSLR - telescope) for such combination (eyepiece with Barlow)?

best regards 

Nothing specific but a lot of barlow lenses like the Skywatcher one have a built in T thread which screws directly onto a Canon T to EOS adapter.

Alan

On 14/06/2019 at 00:18, Relpet said:

Very interesting link.  Lots of food for thought there and the advertised CDs look interesting too.

Jerry's CD's pack in a lot of info, well worth the price for anyone starting out.

On 13/06/2019 at 18:24, OJ87 said:

Hi everyone, 

I want to try planetary imaging with my current equipments. My problem is making images out of video file: Canon makes MP4 format, which isn't supported in Registax. Is there any free mp4 to AVI converter? Or any staking program which supports mp4 files?

Would Barlow lens improve the quality of video/ end image ? I have currently 12mm, 8mm and 5mm eyepieces.

Thanks

Quattro 10s is good for planetary - I've used this with good results.

As others say, MP4 to AVI conversion is easy with  PIPP. Key thing is to use uncompressed format - its crucial. I compared compressed vs uncompressed (Canon 550D) and the difference is huge. Some Canon cameras offer uncompressed video crop mode - go for that if you  have it. the link posted above shows which  cameras have 1:1 which is what youre after. Other options are using Live view or Magic Lantern. theres a thread out there on somewhere on using the 77D with magic lantern.

You  want the highest frame rate. Typically 50 or 60 fps depending on if PAL or NTSC. But I think in full res your 77D may only do 24 fps - not sure re this. High frame rate is important because obviously you have more to stack, but this doesn't matter if doing the moon because you  can just do longer video. For Jupiter you  will get blur with  long videos due to rotation. The other thing re higher frame rate is it "freezes" the atmospheric shimmer so gets better quality frames. 

Even with  crop mode you  would benefit from a barlow. I have a 4 element Apo and TV powermate x5. The powermate wins. 5x is possible with the Quattro but pushing it a bit.  

You  could use eyepiece projection but its not the favoured method.

good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1