SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon eos4000d or eos2000d

adder001

Hi folks, 

I am trying to get back into this again after a horrible few months where I reluctantly had to sell my gear. (The bug never leaves you). This time I am on a tighter budget than before but I am looking for another dslr for astrophotography. I used to have the canon eos1300d with a 300mm lens which was great. They don't make that any more but there is a eos4000d 18mp aps c sensor which seems similar to my old one and then a slightly more expensive 2000d which has 24mp aps c sensor. The 2000d seems on the face of it to be a better camera as it has a metal lens ring rather than plastic and a few other bells and whistles but I was wondering if it would be better for astrophotography having 24mp on the same sensor or stick with the 18mp on the same sensor(I am thinking less noise maybe?).

If there would be virtually no difference in photo quality then I would opt for the cheaper one but if it makes a big difference d then I might push the boat out and get the 2000d.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I'll second the 600d camera.

I have one, as well as a 1100d (both astro modded), but I'll choose the 600d every time.  I also have an un-modded 600d as my daylight camera, yes there are better canons around but value for money they can't be beaten.

I'd also go by the maxim, for canon cameras the less zero's in the model number, the better the camera....

Thanks for your replies but I don't like the idea of second hand, I never have. I know that's fussy but you just never know. (That's probably why I'm always skint). I really only want new with warranty etc., So that's why these caught my eye because they just fit my budget

I have bought used cameras (and lenses) from places like WEX and MPB photographic and you wouldn't know they were not new, you can choose the condition/shutter count to suit your pocket and get a decent guarantee too.

+1 for a 600D

Alan

A friend of mine has both the 1300D and the 4000D for astro, I own a 100D. Overall, the 4000D has cheaper quality: the camera body is less robust and the screen smaller. And there are little details that makes 4000D almost unsuitable for astro. It lacks the jack for the shutter release timer and it has not the little 'door' for the external power cable. That's why he ended buying an Canon 1300D, which is performing great. So, I wouldn't recommend the 4000D for astrophotography.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2019 at 17:22, adder001 said:

Thanks for your replies but I don't like the idea of second hand, I never have. I know that's fussy but you just never know. (That's probably why I'm always skint). I really only want new with warranty etc., So that's why these caught my eye because they just fit my budget

You want to go second hand because you don't want to purchase a new DSLR for astro photography as you do want to astro-modify your camera and do you really want to purchase a new camera and then take a screwdriver to it? You are vastly better off with a modified 600D than either of the cameras you just mentioned unmodified.