SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I need to use guiding software ?

Do I actually have to run guiding software on a laptop to guide with a guide camera and SW EQ5 goto mount ?
Or, can I just plug the powered up guide camera into the mount ?

Here is a picture of my intended portable rig for family skywatching.
I want the image to appear on the screen so the children don't have to all queue up for the eyepiece/ jog the scope etc. And take a some photos afterwards for records.
As my gpcam has a guider port, can I just connect that to the mount and have just the image capture software on the (old) laptop; or do I have to run guiding software (PHD2 etc) on the laptop aswell?

Its not clear to me whether the camera+mount combo will do the guiding on its own or if I also need the laptop ? Can I ditch the all laptop clutter and use a powered up guide camera connected to the mount and an eye piece /  DSLR for photos  ?

Cant seem to find anything useful on either the Altair Astro or SW websites 😞

Any help much appreciated.

WP_20190613_07_09_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20190613_06_47_42_Pro.jpg

6 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

The guide camera needs to be controlled and that is done by PHD or other guiding software. It needs to be told how to move.

Peter

Ok thanks.
So If I want to ditch the laptop entirely (for the observing & DSLR case) I should have got something like the SkyWatcher SynGuider or Celestron NexGuide ?
(which look very similar I note)

57 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Ok thanks.
So If I want to ditch the laptop entirely (for the observing & DSLR case) I should have got something like the SkyWatcher SynGuider or Celestron NexGuide ?

Perhaps you need to reconsider ditching the laptop. 😖 You could do short unguided subs.

Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Ok thanks.

Or a Lacerta MGEN II which is well regarded (no personal experience). But it comes at a price! So where do you want to put your money - autoguider or laptop?

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

On 13/06/2019 at 08:48, PeterCPC said:

Perhaps you need to reconsider ditching the laptop. 😖 You could do short unguided subs.

Peter

ok thanks - I have an old netbook on the shelf (the battery used to last ages)  - maybe I can try that.
Or carry on unguided.

From what I can gather you want to be able to project an image on a fairly large screen for the kids. This would normally mean using a laptop screen that can be placed at a distance from the mount.

What camera are you using to capture the images?

Software such as APT would be really helpful. 

Are you going to be using you equipment in a remote site or from home.

I always found that using a dummy battery for a dslr really helped as especially during the colder weather batteries seem to run out very quickly.

You may also want to consider a eqdirect cable if you keep using your laptop and do away with the handset.

cheers,

• Like 1