SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M106

nightcasper

M106 was captured from our other site ICAstronomy in Oria. This has got to be my favourite galaxy of them all. The processing was a lot easier than the last time I processed it as this data was taken from a dark site in Spain and not from light polluted UK.

Some Info about M106:

Messier 106 is an intermediate spiral galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici. It was discovered by Pierre Méchain in 1781. M106 is at a distance of about 22 to 25 million light-years away from Earth. It is also a Seyfert II galaxy.

Lum 51x900 Secs 
Red 19x600 Secs 
Green 10x600 Secs 
Blue 10x600 Secs 
Ha 26x1800 Secs

32 Hours 15 mins in total.

Equipment used:

Telescope: Tec 140 F7

Camera: Xpress Trius SX-694 Mono Cooled to -15C

Image Scale: 0.95 

Guiding: OAG

Filters: Astronomik Deep-Sky RGB,Astronomik Luminance filters L-3,Astronomik Ha 6nm

Mount: iOptron CEM60 "Standard" GOTO Centre Balanced Equatorial Mount

Image Acquisition: Sequence Generator Pro

Stacking and Calibrating: Pixinsight

Processing: Pixinsight 1.8, Photoshop CC

M106-2 copy.jpg

Edited by nightcasper
  • Like 25

6 hours ago, dave_galera said:

Superb image with lots of detail.....and from a good location. I actually live in the village of Galera which is about 20KM from Oria.

Hi Dave Thanks for the comment been to Galera afew times do you have a dome by any chance?  I work at ICastronomy it's Definitely a great location.

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Fantastic image... smooth and detailed..32 hours!!  just goes to show that the exposure time is necessary for quality astro images. 

Yep you Definitely need to put the time in and having good skies help 😉.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nightcasper said:

Hi Dave Thanks for the comment been to Galera afew times do you have a dome by any chance?  I work at ICastronomy it's Definitely a great location.

Hi, yes I do have a dome, the only one in Galera as far as I know. I also know Colin from ICAstronomy, went to his place in the Jalon valley for a Pixinsight course that was being held there. You have a good site at Oria as the air here is dry and transparency is very good.

4 minutes ago, dave_galera said:

Hi, yes I do have a dome, the only one in Galera as far as I know. I also know Colin from ICAstronomy, went to his place in the Jalon valley for a Pixinsight course that was being held there. You have a good site at Oria as the air here is dry and transparency is very good.

It's a small world Colin has made the move from Alcalali to Oria we also have a place near Castillejar where we are setting up another Hosting site and going to be running some courses from there. 

4 minutes ago, nightcasper said:

It's a small world Colin has made the move from Alcalali to Oria we also have a place near Castillejar where we are setting up another Hosting site and going to be running some courses from there. 

I did meet Colin a couple of months ago when he look at a friends very large property, think just before he bought the place at Castillejar............if you are ever around give me a shout and we can meet up.

Just a comment, you need to update your website to let prospective customers know what is happening with the new sites....with a few images.

Edited by dave_galera

44 minutes ago, dave_galera said:

I did meet Colin a couple of months ago when he look at a friends very large property, think just before he bought the place at Castillejar............if you are ever around give me a shout and we can meet up.

We are just in the process of updating the website as we speak. There are no more places available left at Oria it's full. Maybe come and have a site visit at Oria?

Edited by nightcasper

38 minutes ago, nightcasper said:

So fairly near to me. I'm just outside Benamaurel towards Jabalcon.

Edited by pete_l

13 hours ago, nightcasper said:

We are just in the process of updating the website as we speak. There are no more places available left at Oria it's full. Maybe come and have a site visit at Oria?

Can I have directions to Oria site, can't find them anywhere