Moonlite CR2 installation on SW 200PDS

My new Moonlite CR2 focuser arrived this morning (and what a gorgeous looking thing it is!). I've just spent the last 90 minutes mounting it on my Sky-watcher 200PDS. The fiddly (understatement of the year) bit was trying to attach the small head bolts to the curved adaptor plate. I eventually ended up following someone's advice on CN and made a paper template, which made finding the right holes a lot easier. It's now finally installed, but (there's always a but) the curved adapter isn't completely flush to the OTA, as you can see from the pics. Does this mean I've actually used the wrong holes or is this normal? 

P1710582.JPG

P1710583.JPG

P1710585.JPG

P1710581.JPG

7 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Sorry if it is a very stupid question, but did you order the correct unit for your size of ‘scope circumference? Moonlite seem to list at least seven variants.

Not a stupid question at all, but yes I did. I bought the 8" Moonlite installation kit (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-installation-kit-for-newtonian-focusers.html) for it. I guess in my rush to get it installed I must have used the wrong holes. I think I'll take it off and try again.

Interestingly (and rather worryingly), if I move the curve adaptor a couple of inches down (next to the OTA focuser hole rather than over it), it's completely flush (more pics below). It's only when it's positioned correctly that it isn't meeting the OTA correctly. And that suggests a problem with the scope tube itself, correct? Anything I can do to remedy the situation (apart from panel beating)?

P1710587.JPG

P1710588.JPG

P1710586.JPG

It does look like the tube is distorted into peaks where the screws attached the old focuser- maybe from overtightening or an accident? Could you use larger washers to spread the screw pressure further from the holes and pull the peaks flat again against the Moonlite mount while tightening the screws? The tube looks quite thin so should reform quite easily?

Trying to decide myself what colour Moonlite to order - think it will be red like yours 😍

C8866467-6247-4BD8-A77D-8688840652FD.jpeg

2 hours ago, markse68 said:

It does look like the tube is distorted into peaks where the screws attached the old focuser- maybe from overtightening or an accident? Could you use larger washers to spread the screw pressure further from the holes and pull the peaks flat again against the Moonlite mount while tightening the screws? The tube looks quite thin so should reform quite easily?

Trying to decide myself what colour Moonlite to order - think it will be red like yours 😍

I never overtightened the original focuser, but I did commit a cardinal sin a few years ago and put the scope on the mount without the counterweights attached. Bang! I guess that's the what caused the peaks. I'll try some larger washers - thanks for the idea.  If it's still not flush, I guess I can fill/cover the gap with something. 

I am looking at a Moonlite focuser to fit to my Coronado  Solarmax 11

The current focuser, is just a slide version, and held in place to two plastic screws

Not sure existing setup with support a Canon 600D camera

John

The tube is thin enough to bend it with your fingers - if you deliberately bend the deformed part a bit too far so that the gap is under the corners, when you tighten it down it will sort itself out to match the curve of the adapter plate. Penny washers suitably blackened on the inside would o no harm at all.

48 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

The tube is thin enough to bend it with your fingers - if you deliberately bend the deformed part a bit too far so that the gap is under the corners, when you tighten it down it will sort itself out to match the curve of the adapter plate. Penny washers suitably blackened on the inside would o no harm at all.

Many thanks, Skipper Billy. I shall give that a go in the morning.

Just a quick update in case anybody else has the same problem in the future. Larger washers didn't help, so I made a gasket out of foam insulation tape (the sort you use for windows and doors). The base plate sits on the gasket - and the gaps are gone! Thanks to Martin at FLO for the tip!

The tension in the spider vanes deforms the tube. Releasing the vane bolts ever so little will probably at least alter the gap. But you've solved the issue already.

Archived