Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Semi DIY Temporary Obsy & Motorising Project

upahill

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Put a gravel path down, as that won't become slippery, unlike the decking boards which definitely will, especially after a downpour or two....  

I had contemplated gravel but since the path has to cross the lawn it will make mowing a pain. I need something I can drive the mower straight over so its likely to be sunken stepping stones.

Good point with the deck though, I will probably do something just outside the door, and on the future step to help provide a bit of grip.  #80 sandpaper strips glued to it perhaps :D

4 minutes ago, upahill said:

Good point with the deck though, I will probably do something just outside the door, and on the future step to help provide a bit of grip.  #80 sandpaper strips glued to it perhaps :D

You can get some sort of paint to go on decking that contains "grippy bits" :)

James

Small job struck off the list. Took advantage of the Black Friday sale to grab some more alexa devices. Including a Echo Show 5 for the bedroom and 8 for the lounge. One of which came bundled with one of the NEOS cams I wanted to try out.

Now, "Alexa, show me the observatory" brings this up on the displays. I also get cloud storage of events and push notifications. There is a software switch for the night vision IR so I can disable them when imaging too. Fairly happy with the angle and brightness given it is pitch black in there right now.

Im not a big fan of the integrated mount it came with as I just cant seem to get the right angle on it, but its propped up for now and ill print a new one. One downside is the camera seems to be streaming to the NEOS website, and then back down to the alexa devices - on a slow connection this is a bit of a pain and can give some buffering issues. The app is a little laggy to load as it forms this connection too which is making me want to reconsider other (much more expensive options) but as a quick "is it on the floor?" check this is perfect.

78227887_2712854502275197_196332816345071616_n.thumb.jpg.4b5f2215a4f2d7eb328bf32f16f5e991.jpg

• 9 months later...

After quite a long break this year from astro I decided to get the kit dusted off and the obsy cleaned out again.

The project has been delayed whilst other projects took priority and whilst I still have a few of those to finish off I can start thinking about the dome automation again and finishing up with the fibreglass repairs to the walls.

But before all of that the wheels are the next project I think. Will post some photos of the improvements tonight after the last few have been replaced.

I did however manage to get what I think is probably the first "proper" shot from the obsy last night though - just a quick test run on Andromeda. So feeling like im getting back on the horse a bit.

Autosave.thumb.png.005e1dece29f1954f5105da42b9177da.png

• Like 1