Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello everyone

Flood

I'm virtually new to astronomy aside from binge watching  TV/You Tube programmes, as well as previously observing the moon and the planets using my trusty old Zenith 7x50 binoculars. I am looking forward to getting more in to it though and I will be looking out for any tips for beginners to grow more in to it. I've managed to buy and acquire a bit of basic equipment and am looking to get the very best from it all.

So far, I have the following bits; Skywatcher 130mm x 900 telescope.  Celestron X-Cell LX eyepieces in 25mm and 12mm. 2x Barlow and a moon filter. Opticron Oregon 20x80 binoculars with tripod.

Next up will be a decent observing chair I think. 

Looking forward to getting involved with local clubs and perhaps taking the odd course. 

Hi Flood and a warm welcome from 'down south'. It sounds like you have made a good start and have everything you need for some great viewing.  Local clubs will be your next good step.  Clear skies!

I forgot to mention that I live in the Edinburgh suburb of Balerno, just in case anyone reading this is nearby and want to say hello. Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - also from Edinburgh. I'm a member of the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh and it's a good way to meet other astronomers and learn about astronomy. Next meeting is Friday 5th July and you'd be very welcome.

https://www.astronomyedinburgh.org/event/charles-piazzi-smyth/

There are other members in Balerno too (at least 4 that I know of) and I'm not far away. Maybe see you there?
Cheers
Mark

Hi Flood, warm welcome from South Wales (uk) 😀.

I found a height adjustable bar stool at my local charity shop. Cost £15 and it is perfect👌. May be worth a try if you have anything local to you.