Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mare Imbrium

Lurcher

I took advantage of a lovely warm evening last night with clear skies. (The first time I didn't need my coat this year). I only went out into my back garden as I wasn't expecting it to last. I managed a quick sketch of Mare Imbrium before then doing a sketch of the Eratosthenes Crater on the Southern border of Imbrium.

I felt really rusty, but it was a lovely evening.

Cheers all.

ScanItem-001.bmp.jpg

ScanItem.bmp.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I try but it all goes out of scale quickly

Yeah well don't try laying my attempt at Mare Imbrium over a photograph, or you'll see that it's out of scale too! I started too large and ran out of paper near the bottom!

I thought it would cloud over early but as I went to bed I saw Jupiter still gleaming away out of the bedroom window, and I wished I'd made more of it. Cloud and rain set in for a while now I think.

- - - -  Thanks all.

• Like 1

I am never brave enough to tackle a whole sea - great effort. You could try doing a outline before hand to the correct scale and then sketching in the details at the eyepiece.

Eratoshenes - love it, cracking technique. You certainly have this technique sorted.

Mike

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mike JW said:

You could try doing a outline before hand to the correct scale and then sketching in the details at the eyepiece.

Hahaa! Do you know, I was thinking that exact same thing this morning when I noticed an old photo I had taken of the same area. I suppose I'm most annoyed as I realized at the time it was going astray and I should have started again. But then again it's all practice and I'm also keen to experiment with charcoal sketches again.

Thanks Mike. All the best.