Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Can Nebulosity and Ph.D operate simultaneously and share a single camera. Running Win 10.

no, sorry that won't work, unless you have one of the old Sbig dual sensor cameras that had an imaging sensor and a guiding one too...

Never mind the software, a guiding prog will need 1 to 3 second exposures, deep sky objects will require 30 second exposures at least. 

Michael 

1. Can PHD2 support a Meade Electronic Eyepiece

2. Can Nebulosity and PHD2 share a common camera (specifically a Meade DSI II

1: If there's a native or Ascom driver then yes. My versions of PHD2 shows Meade DS1\2\3 is supported.

2: No, cameras are a one device to application type.

3 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

1: If there's a native or Ascom driver then yes. My versions of PHD2 shows Meade DS1\2\3 is supported.

2: No, cameras are a one device to application type.

I think the OP means to share the camera with Neb and PhD to image and guide at the same time, so no you can’t do that, it’s one or the other.. :)

3 hours ago, Tom Shinal said:

1. Can PHD2 support a Meade Electronic Eyepiece

2. Can Nebulosity and PHD2 share a common camera (specifically a Meade DSI II

PHD2 will probably support a Meade Electronic eyepiece. A camera cannot simultaneously guide and capture through two separate pieces of software. Guiding requires short exposures and DSO imaging requires longer exposures. Its either one or the other, but not at the same time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LuminousCRO
      I was looking to get into astrophotography with my 10 inch dobson and for start would like to buy something affordable. Cameras can be used or new. Thanks in advance!
    • By masjstovel
      Hi,
      I bought my first telescope, SW 150pds about 6 months ago with the purpose of astroimaging "when i feel ready".  So far ive used my Nikon D810 for that, and I'm now  planning on taking the step buying my first AP camera.
      My targets would be DSO's, and not planetary. I want a mono-camera, not color. 

I want to get away with a very good camera to a reasonable price (wouldn't we all...) and in this regard I've been drooling on the ZWO ASI 1600MM Mono for some time. The price for it is in the upper part of my budget, but I'm willing to if its worth it.  I've seen from other treads that sensor-size isn't everything, and dynamic range and gain and all is just as important, but i have trouble understanding it all 100% when it's all new to me, but in my experience i am a practical person who learns things much better and faster with the gear in my hand. So without getting to technical, and staying as objective as possible - please help me with; 

1. Is this a good camera to go for?
      2. It's sold with options of filters 1.25", 31mm or 36mm - Why these options, and what determines what i would choose?

3. Would you go for another camera in this price range, and why? - Or to rephrase it a bit; If you were in my shoes, which camera would you og for?

I'd appreciate any help:)

I might add, that i understand that with my lack of experience, buying a mono-camera with filters and all might seem premature, but for some strange reason. I enjoy these "way over my head"-projects and figuring  out things as time goes - I just need some guiding in the right direction. 
    • By Neiman
      Hiya, have absolutely no idea where to begin finding a camera for Astrophotography. And by that I mean - I know I want a canon but am unsure which to buy. It will be a second hand one. Does it need to be full frame ? Can any and all models be modified ? Is a higher pixel count the way to go ? What are the important things to look for in a DSLR ?
      any help would be great.
      Thanks
      Neil
    • By BUDA
      Hi All!

I have guiding problem with the following guider setup: 9x50 finder + ZWO ASI 120mm mini + PHD2.
      The imaging scope is a 6' newtonian + canon dslr on a HEQ5, driven by a laptop via diy EQDIR cable.
      When the mount is set up and running correctly, polar aligned and all... I connect the guider camera
      and mount with phd2. All nice and easy, I run a calibration, then it starts to guide. All seems ok.

Then I am starting to take pictures. The first seems OK, then the second have the star trails...
      I check phd2 and there is a message: the camera (ASI) did not take a picture for "xy" seconds so it is disconnected.
      Grrr.... I reconnect try to set up a longer period for "xy" in the settings as mentioned in the message.
      And all the same again and again. Whatever I add for connection timeout for the camera, it just reaches that
      and disconnect the camera.
      PHD + philips toucam has worked for me flowlessly. I changed to PHD2 because I gave myself a birthday present,
      the little ZWO camera. (and PHD did not recognize it)
      Do you have any idea what can be the problem? I will contact PHD2 help also, but maybe somebody had already
      the same problem and figured out how to overcome. I am almost sure I make some dumb mistake in the PHD2
      software settings, however I tried to change only what was needed.
    • By Mandy D
      I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
      Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html
      Thanks
      Mandy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.