Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Recommended Posts

This is one of my first tries at Milky Way wide field. The aim is to cover this area at high(er) resolution over the summer/years. For now, last night, I managed to shoot a bit over 1h with 2 Canons. 50mm @F/2.8 with the 550D and 70mm @F/4 with the 6D.

Here it is:

galaxy_crop2.jpg

  • Like 25
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent certainly knocks spots off mine.  What length were your subs and what mount were you using? 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, carastro said:

Excellent certainly knocks spots off mine.  What length were your subs and what mount were you using? 

Carole 

Thank you, Cara! Skies were decent, though far from the best I had in that area other times. Usually it's a Bortle 2 there, but now there was something lurking in the air, you can see some weird gradients to the right, perhaps some passing cloud not visible in a single frame. Still a Bortle 3 maybe.

I exposed for 3 minutes with each camera. 2 x (9 subs for one panel with a bit of moon and 7 subs for both other 2 panels, without moon). I put them on the AZ-EQ5 and dithered every frame.

Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks you seem to have better conditions than me.  I was Bortle 5 (could not see the MW)  and I was using an unguided Ioptron Skytracker.   

Never the less your image is excellent.  

Carole 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 09/06/2019 at 22:49, alexbb said:

This is one of my first tries at Milky Way wide field. The aim is to cover this area at high(er) resolution over the summer/years. For now, last night, I managed to shoot a bit over 1h with 2 Canons. 50mm @F/2.8 with the 550D and 70mm @F/4 with the 6D.

Here it is:

galaxy_crop2.jpg

Fabulous. I’m heading to Italy soon, and I have one astro objective - to get an image of this region 👍🏻 It will still be low but higher than Northern Ireland.

If it turns out half as good I’ll be over the moon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 00:25, tooth_dr said:

Fabulous. I’m heading to Italy soon, and I have one astro objective - to get an image of this region 👍🏻 It will still be low but higher than Northern Ireland.

If it turns out half as good I’ll be over the moon. 

Thank you! How did it go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, alexbb said:

Thank you! How did it go?

I’m still in Italy but I didn’t realise how low this would be as we are in the north. I tried a couple of nights but just couldn’t get to a dark enough location. I think I’ll have to concede that a family holiday is too difficult to combine with ‘proper’ astrophotography but is ok for some casual nightscapes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.