SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20 inch F4 dobsonian

I have just been fortunate enough to purchase a 20 inch F4 dob with a type 2 paracorr.

I was wondering if anyone with a similar setup could advise of expectations and give some new targets to look out for?

Thanks,

• Like 2

Messier 57 (the Ring Nebula) should look excellent with that aperture. You might be able to pick out the central star of the planetary nebula which is magnitude 15 or so.

Under dark skies M51 (whirlpool galaxy) will show it's spiral structure clearly - no averted vision required with 20 inches of aperture !

• Like 1

M13 should be impressive, M57 looks good through my 12 inch dob so will be interested to see what difference the new scope makes. The thought of seeing the spiral of M51 instead of using averted imagination is exciting. Typical that we have a week of rain now!

Open clusters and globular clusters should look great, even from light polluted sites.

From dark sites I would go for seeing structure in galaxies and nebulae.

Get a decent deep sky atlas and start on those galaxies. Globs really open up when viewed in larger scopes but are still wonderful objects in any size telescope. 

Cygnus is a great place to hunt at this time of year with an OIII filter...enjoy.

• Like 2

Thank you guys, needless to say I am chomping at the bit to get the scope set up and out under a clear sky. As the scope has barrow handles I was thinking of buying an 8X6 shed to house it in and leave it set up. Should be able to just wheel it out when in use. Can`t wait, thanks for all the suggestions.

I will be sure to post a first light report and if your comments are anything to go by first light will be a revelation. Previously I was using a 12 inch dob so quite a jump. A colleague has a 16 inch flextube which gives impressive views.

• Like 1

I now have both the Interstellarum Atlas + the companion Deep Sky Guide.  Its my favourite way to plan a session now :)

Going from 12" to 20" you gotta enjoy revisiting everything!!

• Like 1

I am sure I will, enjoy revisiting old targets that will take on a new perspective, seeking out subtle colour in objects that looked neutral previously and seeking out those faint fuzzies that we all enjoy. Just considering eyepiece choices now as I have recently slimmed it down somewhat.

Edited by oldfruit
  • Like 2