Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FC76DCU & Quark

SAW

I'm thinking of getting the Tkahashi FC76DCU for solar observing and imaging with a Quark. Is this the correct FOV I'll get when using this combination with the 178MM and 174MM ? I think the Quark manual states it's a 4.3 barlow.

Is the focuser on the DCU model going to suitable when using the Quark ?

FC76DCU.JPG

FC76DCU.JPG

Edited by SAW

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Not sure about the field of view but the Tak' seems overkill if only used for solar, a SWED80Pro would work just as well for £1000.00 less.

Dave

I'm going to use the Tak for lunar observing/imaging as well but also have the option to add the extender making it f/12.5.

21 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

the quark which plays best at hi mag. a simple f8-f12 100mm doublet would get best over all

so the Quark would work well with my FS60CB with 1.7x extender, giving f10? 600mm focal length

yes it would work, but the aperture is only 60mm which is a tad counter productive to the quark but saying that ive never try one and wouldnt know for sure untill i do. charl.  p.s a friend of mine in the states Lowjiber has i think use his with small 60mm scope not a tak and had good results if you would like to send him a message he prob knows a bit more than me

Edited by xtreemchaos

1 hour ago, xtreemchaos said:

yes it would work, but the aperture is only 60mm which is a tad counter productive to the quark but saying that ive never try one and wouldnt know for sure untill i do. charl.  p.s a friend of mine in the states Lowjiber has i think use his with small 60mm scope not a tak and had good results if you would like to send him a message he prob knows a bit more than me

Thanks for the pics charl, good examples of the differences.

Don't discount the 60mm. I had a PST40 and the Quark in a 60mm was a significant step up in detail and still gave whole disk views. It was a good combination. I know the Quark is more often used for high power views, but the brightness, contrast and detail were all very nice at the lower power.

• Like 1

thanks Stu, i carnt discount a 60mm mate, i can only comment on my own kit. id love to try a 60mm getting a full disc would be good to have, i have one on my shopping list as soon as my funds allow "or the misses wants to be good to me"😀. im fancing one of Altair Astro ones. charl.   

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Haha 1

The Quark manual recommends f/4-f/9 so the FC76 would be ok as it's f/7.5 and with the Quarks barlow puts it in the recommended best focal length of f/27-f/32 but if I use the extender it makes it f/12.5 taking way over to f/59.55 !

Something like the Altair 80mm f/7 be ok ? but that's not really going to give me my lunar focal range ?

• Like 1

what i think it comes down to is thay recommend between f4 to f9 to maybe play it safe  but in practice us solarist like to push the boundreys and still be safe, so what im saying is as far as f numbers go its a suck it n see thingy with out going too crazy if you get my drift.

that 80mm AA scope would work well, the scope you planning to use would work well "as Stu says"but if your wanting close ups using as little glass as possable a longer f would be a advantage and that what the quark dos best in my view. but im strange my mother told me 😀. charl.

• Like 2

So the FC76DCU with extender at f/12.5 will work with the Quark ? Looking on astronomy tools with that set up definitely gets me close up.

• Like 1

yes it would work providing you can get focus ok" which you should be able to", but seeing none of us has tryed one you would be the cutting edge tester . you could allways email daystar to get it from the horses mouth or visit the forum but the forum is like being on the the slow boat to china. charl.

3 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

yes it would work providing you can get focus ok" which you should be able to", but seeing none of us has tryed one you would be the cutting edge tester . you could allways email daystar to get it from the horses mouth or visit the forum but the forum is like being on the the slow boat to china. charl.

Yeah they aren't exactly quick with the email replies. 

Edited by SAW

on a totally different note ive been getting small shocks off my heq5 mount and finally fixed it today it was the 2 into one plug adapter at the wall the earth wasn't working sorry i had to tell someone because im chuffed i got to the bottom of even that it took six months to do something about it, well its not very often i touch the mount as i just turn it on and do everything via the pc 😀. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...